Bisoprolol withdrawal feeling awful

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have recently come off bisoprolol completely after being 1.25mg daily. I was prescribed the medication after suffering with chest pains and palptations along with a high heart rate, i went to the hospital and had an ECG which came back all clear and then had an chest x-ray which again came back all clear, a long with blood tests that were all clear. My GP then placed me in diazepam as they thought it was down to anxiety, however that did not work i was still suffering from a high heart rate so they then placed me on bisprolol to 'treat the symptoms'. I have now been off the tablets for around 2 weeks, the first few days i felt fine i was really happy i was having no side effects, however a week being off them i began to feel really shaky and weak, i also tried doing some things i used to do so tried going back to the gym but i would come home and my rate would not settle past 120bpm as i assumed id be able to go back to doing normal things being off them. Since then i keep suffering from a high rate hitting 100s just being sat around and feeling even more shakier than i have!

i'm only 20 and i feel this is no life for someone of my age to be living, i feel like i cant do anything i feel weak all the time and im too anxious to do much on the fear ill end up worse off.

i was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to mine or could possible give any advice! Would love to go back to feeling how i used to before all this!

note: i have a check up tomorrow with my gp and will see what they suggest too.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lolasmum, please don't advise people to shave bits off their tablets. That would mean that you have no idea how much you're taking and every day, you'd end up taking a different dose. That could be harmful. If you can get hold of a tablet cutter (I'm not sure if pharmacies sell them but they're sometimes used in paediatrics if a normal smaller dose isn't available). A tablet cutter is more accurate but never try to split a tablet yourself unless it actually has a cross in the middle that enables you to cut it accurately.

Benzodiazepines are a very different ballgame to beta blockers. I personally wouldn't want to take them for anxiety. They're useful for epilepsy, given direct into a vein for someone with epilepsy that is not under control. But I wouldn't want them as a routine treatment for anxiety.

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice you have given it has been really helpful!

• Posted

Hi,

Just an update I have seen my GP today and explained what has been happening, he suggested that if I felt better being on Bisoprolol than how I do right now it would be a good idea to return to taking them, which I do agree with. In the end he gave me a prescription again for the BB on 1.25 still and has also referred me to a cardiologist for further tests to be done as he had hoped that when I stopped taking the Bisoprolol that my problems wouldn't return. I am going to see if I can persevere first without taking the tablets and if I feel things aren't getting better I will return to taking them.

• Posted

Good idea. It's always better to try to deal with anxiety through lifestyle changes like joining a social group or spending more time with friends. If you're no better, ask about counseling. Individual or group therapy are often helpful. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you I think so too! Thank you, I think i would consider counselling if things get no better.

• Posted

I am 56---same post withdrawl side fx--worried I have AFIB

• Posted

Sorry to hear that 😦

How long have you been off the tablets now?

• Posted

hi

hope youre going on ok. i can fully sympathise its blooming awful isnt it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.