Bisoprolol Withdrawal Reaction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've seen a few threads about people going through Bisoprolol withdrawal - all I can say is - I wish I never took this medicine. I had some reactions after the Pfizer covid vaccine and they suggested using a betablocker (Concor 5mg) to calm down what they speculated was a PFO causing migraines. Really not properly diagnosed by the original doctor - luckily I got 4 or 5 opinions.

I was only on it a few months, and after getting multiple opinions, including a stress echo, that concluded my health or life wasn't at risk, decided I wanted to get off of it. While it generally served the purpose of lowering my heart rate, it also created bronchospasms (like my throat was closing) and this strange cough all the time. This is a known side effect and I didn't know why it was happening until I read more after withdrawal.

My withdrawal from 5mg was just going to half pill for a week - the doctor recommended a month long reduction plan, but I forgot to take it a few times and then just stopped taking it.

Anyways - I'm 2-3 weeks off of it now. Symptoms of withdrawal are similar to what others have described. After 2 weeks, some weird pins and needles/tinging in my lips and hands/feet. After a day of that, my heart was jumping to 130-150bpm doing normal activity (like walking or yoga). And one time just sitting and doing nothing. Then sometimes it would shoot down to 60bpm. It made me feel really unsafe - it was about 15-30bpm higher than if I had done the same activity before. So, I decided to spend three days in bed meditating. The high BPM stopped after a few days (although I am not being very active on purpose) and it doesn't jump up much, but it's randomly dropping to 60bpm now maybe after 20 minutes just for a second. I wear a WHOOP health watch to monitor. Other symptoms of withdrawal included - waking up 3am the first two days after two weeks, 345am the next two days, then 430am..... nothing really happened when I woke up and I went back to sleep after. But, I never woke up like that before. Also, the first two days I was waking up at my normal time and it was really difficult to breathe - I just felt like I couldn't get enough air. I'm now on day 4-6 of withdrawal symptoms and the pins/needles/tingling has spread to my tongue, my nose, my eyelids, hands and feet, lips and sometimes other random parts of my body (like genitals).

I hope this ends soon and I hope I never take a beta blocker again.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

im so sorry for your struggle Rick!

I can so relate. Im still on 7mg Atenolol after dropping from 20mg over five months. I stopped tapering seven months ago as my symptoms were so severe. Many of us on this forum have/are suffering fierce wd symptoms. Ive had burning all over body, Adrenalin rushes, extreme anxiety, headaches, neck pain, Tinnitus and more. This drug is very powerful and prescribed way too easily. Let us know how you get along

• Posted

God do I understand your widthdrawl symptoms. I`ve basically had the same. i'm on my 6th day without bisol and getting a kickback of anxiety with the tingling you reported as well as fast heathbeat. I have been having bronchospasm for about 6 weeks now (sometime worst that other) which is about the same time as I was on biso. I was on biso for extrasystoles and anxiety and I wish I will need them again. I hope like you to get out of those symptoms quickly. one thing that seems to help for me is 10 minutes mindful meditation. Just calmed a anxiety attack. you can find many on youtube. Hope this help. Take care.

• Posted

hi

i was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears. Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.