Bisoprorol side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone I hope you are all as well as you can be.

Can I ask a somewhat personnel qestion, do any of you that are on Bisoprorol  have any problems with constipation, I have been on it now for over a year and wonder if it is a side effect. 

Thanks L.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Gastro-intestinal disturbance is listed as a side-effect in the BNF. Is it not on the product information sheet with the medication?

Best wishes 

aa

• Posted

Hi Linda I am not on those meds but I did have probs with contsipation and the BEST remedy I fpund was PRUNES..immediate relief instad of Laxitives ,,,Not so good for us 
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I have been on Bisoprolol for many months now but haven't really noticed any constipation. However, I have, for several years taken about a table spoonful of Lactulose every night which a doctor told me is safe, unlike some laxatives which are harmful taken regularly.

Don

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I will try the Lactulose Donald. As you say Pebbalita prunes not so good for those of us on Warfarin.

Thanks again for replying.  L.

• Posted

Orange juice contains vitamin C which is a laxative, few glasses of fresh orange a day might help- no warfarin interaction. 

aa

• Posted

Hi Linda-yes - Bisoprolol really slowed my digestion as well as my heart rate. My GP told me that it is quite common with beta blockers. As they are doing a good job slowing down the heart rate other areas tend to slow down at the same time.  Unfortunately since I was a little girl I have had tendency to be a bit sluggish in that area so it's the last thing I need! I actually ended up having haemarroidectomy (sp) last year. Every night I have a bowl of fresh fruit including prunes to help and I also take magnesium taurate supplement to try and help my AF but as a bonus it seems to keep me regular. I know it seems like an awful faff but it's worth it. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Whistler,

I suspected it was the Bisoprolol slowing everything down, just needed some reassurance really, that is why this Forum is so good we are all here for each other, I will take on board your suggestions Thanks for replying.   L x

• Posted

Hi Linda, I had been on 2.5 mg Bisoprolol since 2011 after a cardioversion for AF and initially I had the same problem. In February this year my AF returned and my GP doubled the Bisoprolol to 5 mg and the constipation has returned. On my Bisoprolol information sheet it is shown as a common side effest (1 in 10).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.