Bit anxious about it all

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi sorry for all the questions I’m about to ask. I’m 29 years old borderline obese and my last blood test came back normal for blood sugar I believe it was 5 (something) whereas before it was 5.6 which doesn’t make sense to me as I didn’t make any improvement. Also my total cholesterol and triglycerides were both slightly elevated both times. I’m really worried about developing diabetes or having heart attack one day. My diet is quite poor I think. I eat quite averagely a lot. I have a fair amount of carbs on most days like bread pasta or rice. 2 days of the weeks I find myself ordering a pizza takeaway I’ve tried so many times to stop them but now I’m starting to think it’s just an addiction. It used to be once a week but after stopping them and going Keto for a while I fell off the bandwagon and started ordering more. As I say my blood sugar was normal last time. Is this really bad what I’m doing? I eat maybe 2-3 portions of veg a day on average. But probably 25% of my calories is coming from pizza atm. I feel so guilty every time I order. Does blood sugar get worse with age? If not then how does prediabetes turn into diabetes? If my bloods are normal but I’m overweight do I have anything to worry about? Many thanks in advance 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Obesity is not a guaranty of diabetes - but they do tend to go together, for reasons.

And yes, to some extent, age tends to increase your odds of diabetes.  Usually they say your pancreas just wears out, but it's more complex than that, of course.

If you get even a modest amount of exercise every day that helps a *lot* in the diabetes NOT developing.

You don't have to go full keto to improve, just learn to count your carbs - and it looks like you already have! - and try to keep individual meals and daily totals to some reasonable number.  So two slices of pizza OK but six not so much, and don't wash them down with beer and ice cream.

Just being moderate in all things - and having good genes and a bit of luck - and you could dodge the whole thing! smile

• Posted

Lawrencepa,

Do not worry about minor changes in numbers, they go up and down at different times of the day, what you have eaten, when you eaten. If you start stressing about minor things you will cause your anixety levels to rise and that is where problems really start.

The only way you can really tell the trend with diabetes is with a blood test, that will tell doctors about how your blood has been over the previous three months and give correct readings. If your blood test was fine lets it go, do not worry.

Everyone can control their eating, it is not an addiction, that is an excuse. We all have self control, it is whether we choose to use it yes, you have to be strong minded about it and not weak, we can all give in and blame an addiction. Sorry if you think I am being hard but, sometimes it is best to be honest.

Exercise is the best remedy and cooking food from scratch, far healthier than picking up a phone.

As for cholesterol, think about this. Is everyone in the world identical? If not why should our cholesterol levels or blood pressure be identical. Cholesterol serves a purpose which is why we have it, from this statement you can see I do not believe in lowering it. It is only the drug companies who make this ruling.

• Posted

ok thank you for your answer. can you answer me this. whats worse, what you eat or what your weight is?

• Posted

Everything counts!

Weight, what you eat, how much you eat, even when you eat, and EXERCISE is critical to diabetes beyond what you might have heard.

And of course your genes, which you can't do anything about.

• Posted

Hi Lawrence.

I wouldnt really class that as a significant difference in results. Glucose metres are not 100% accurate and there is an accepted range of variation. If you have quality control soloution for your metre it will have a defined range within which results are considered "accurate enough" to be accepted.

If really concerned ask your GP to arrange for you to have a glucose tolerance test. They basicaly will measure your blood sugar before and after a big dose of sugar and it will be done in hospital lab rather than at home.

• Posted

it was a blood test with doctors. first time i was told i was prediabetic as i had slight elevated fastinng in slightly over normal range for intolerance test. year later my fasting blood sugar was normal so i didnt go for my GTT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.