bit confused by diagnosis - help? Knee cap replacement?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

?I posted a few weeks ago after seeing a consultant who advised that my knee was out of alignment and he was thinking about doing an osteotomy to realign. He sent me off for xrays then I had a telephone consultation last week. 

?He came back with "it's as I thought - the xrays show bone on bone under the knee cap but the rest of the knee is ok. I will refer you to another surgeon for discussion for a knee cap replacement"

?Well this was all a bit of a surprise as he had been sure when I saw him and he examined me that alignment was causing the problems. 

?I have had ongoing problems since 2012 - multiple steroid injections - which did absolutely nothing (this first surgeon acknowledged that they probably wouldn't due to the type of problems - I also have pes anserinus - which feels like my knee is on fire) 2 microfractures - 1st a disaster and second minimal relief but now deteriorated.

?The surgeon said said they do 3000 knee replacements and 500 knee cap replacements at my local hospital each year. So I have Dr Googled knee cap replacements - apparently not common - I certainly fit the symptoms and reasons for the surgery as I read them. 

?I've had a bad weekend - the pain has been dreadful - and to  be honest I don't think I coped very well - especially as there is no end in sight.

?So has anyone had a kneecap replacement. When I had the second microfracture - the surgeon then did talk about this procedure.

?I just feel a bit pushed pillar to post at the moment. I haven't had the new appointment through yet. I hope it does come through......1st surgeon said 'leave it with me - I'll forward you on' so I hope he does. I could ring the secretary to check at some point if I don't hear anything soon. I'm in the UK

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Get into his secretary my notes once went missing so everything was on hold. No apology was given but i was then put on the waiting list only waited 3 months get phoning shy bairns get nothing i am in the UK and NHS treated xx
    • Posted

Thank you - I'm not shy! He rang me on the 19th so if he did the referral the next day that's two weeks tomorrow - normally appointments come through pretty quickly - it's the wait for the appointment that's long! No point going back to the GP as he just gets his secretary to ring the consultant's secretary - which I can do myself!

• Posted

I had a TKR and Osteotomy on 9th January and thecrelief to be able to get up from a chair and walk is amazing. Like you I had 2 micro fractures. One 2007 one in 2013. I was bone on bone. I was back at work at a desk after 4 weeks. I now 7 weeks post op a little pain nothing ibuprofen and paracetemol and occasional Zapain now doesn’t control. It still swells. But to be able to get up and walk without it waiting to click in and to be steady is worth it all. And....... boom boom boom boom I have 2 straight legs; first time in 4 years. I’ve had ups and downs but this site is really really helpful. As my leg was splayed out to the right over 12 degrees for so many hrs I’m still having to work on straightening it. I’m 125 bend and -15 straight so getting there.  Hope this helps and good luck 
  • Posted

I had a TKR and Osteotomy on 9th January and thecrelief to be able to get up from a chair and walk is amazing. Like you I had 2 micro fractures. One 2007 one in 2013. I was bone on bone. I was back at work at a desk after 4 weeks. I now 7 weeks post op a little pain nothing ibuprofen and paracetemol and occasional Zapain now doesn’t control. It still swells. But to be able to get up and walk without it waiting to click in and to be steady is worth it all. And....... boom boom boom boom I have 2 straight legs; first time in 4 years. I’ve had ups and downs but this site is really really helpful. As my leg was splayed out to the right over 12 degrees for so many hrs I’m still having to work on straightening it. I’m 125 bend and -15 straight so getting there.  Hope this helps and good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks that's very helpful - good to know pain can be gone or relieved - it's the constant gnawing pain that is getting me down. 

?I was confused as the surgeon I first saw years ago said it was arthritis of the knee - especially the knee cap - - though interestingly the physio felt the knee was out of alignment - then back to the last surgeon I saw who was straight to the osteotomy and out of alignment bit. Then when I next spoke to him he was back to arthritis of the knee cap and no mention of alignment at all. It will be interesting to see what the next surgeon says!

?I have a job with disabled children and have to be able to get up and down off the floor many times a day, also drive as I work in the community - this is getting harder. 30 miles a day max is all I'm able to drive otherwise I can't do anything in the evening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.