Bizarre overlap of symptoms between smoking methods...no nicotine!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Physical sensitivity runs in my family. So does addiction. So I was unsurprised when I put myself into a near constant state of what I assumed to be nicotine poisoning. Smoking, vaping, replacement therapies, etc...all would be taken too far. The symptoms are insomnia, low energy, morning sickness after a night of smoking, a general feeling of poisoning such like my skin hurts, and some weirder ones: I'm prone to muscle weakness, so that my tendency to a pulled back muscle is heightened greatly, an existing mild tendonitis becomes much more painful, etc. The strangest symptom is mental illness: my negative emotions and much more frequent and very heightened, so that a minor difficulty becomes a traumatizing event, existing fears become terrors, mild paranoia, and so on. Finally, there is a tendency toward a kind of narcolepsy: if I'm not mentally stimulated, a little tired, etc I'll be prone to microsleeps that come on very suddenly. Note that this is something also caused by buprenorphine (Suboxone) but usually not so much with the lower dose I'm on.

But after being so sick and for so long, I finally quit. Thank God.

I switched to zero-nicotine vape juice, for the fixation, and it was great. I had forgotten that this used to cause high blood pressure for me, just like nicotine does. That was a bummer, but whatever. Guess what? ZERO nicotine vaping causes the exact same symptoms above! This was never the case when I was a younger man. I am now in middle age, and baffled. Also very frightened. What could be the commonality here? Thanks very much in advance.

Medications:

Sublocade for history of opiate addiction: Last injection was 11 weeks ago. No noticable withdrawal symptoms as yet. Note that what I thought were nicotine related issues have been going on for years, so unlikely to be withdrawal related?

Lisinopril for hypertension related to smoking

Baclofen for anxiety.

Vistiril prn for sleep

Gabapentin for anxiety, mood regulation

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.