Bizarre, random pain and tension in the chest area without a clear source.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone. Sorry for the long post, I really want to explain it as best as I can.

I'm genuinely stumped by this one and I would be really grateful to read some answers if possible. I started having the most bizarre issues around the chest area, it's really weird, I don't even know to what doctor I should go because it feels incredibly vague and random. I don't think it's anything life threatening (I hope) but it's something that makes me very anxious, to the point that I'm starting to be afraid of going to sleep.

Throughout the day, I feel slight tension in my chest area, it's not painful but I feel something is wrong. I can breathe normally, I can take frequent full breaths (with one very specific exception, explained in the next paragraph), I don't have any problems functioning in general, I can eat normally, I don't get dizzy, I don't feel "sick" but I don't feel "okay" either. I can exercise normally (I just did a few push-ups to make sure). Overall I feel pretty normal. I just feel very uneasy in my chest, and this sometimes manifests in different ways. Sometimes I feel it in the middle of my chest, sometimes it travels onto my back, or even my armpits, sometimes I feel tension, sometimes it stings me once and then disappears. It feels very elusive and constantly on the move. I even feel a bulge in my throat right now, but I assume this is because of the anxiety and it's not directly related.

However, the worst thing seems to happen at night. It localises itself in a more specific spot after sleep: I feel a stinging sensation in my lower ribcage, on the right side and it wakes me up after a few hours of normal uninterrupted sleep. Suddenly, I feel this discomfort when my lungs are either 100% full, or 100% empty. In between breaths I feel fine, it even makes it better during inhaling or exhaling, it only stings me when I stop at full or empty, which is really bizarre. And it can worsen when I twist my body into a specific position. The fact that twisting makes it worse makes me think it might be a muscle problem... but, here's the crazy part:

It doesn't happen every night. That tension in the chest feeling began many weeks ago and I just stopped paying attention to it because it doesn't impair me in any way during the day, even now when I feel it, it's just there, being slightly annoying. But this stinging pain in the rib that actually makes me worry only happened twice during those few weeks of feeling tense, and only at night. It doesn't make any sense. I can bend and twist my body however I want right now in the middle of the day, breathe in and out as intensely and frequently as I want, and nothing happens, but god forbid me going to sleep. It's almost as if laying down in a specific position for many hours triggers the pain, for whatever reason. Today it felt a bit worse and I had to roll over on my back, it did make it disappear, almost.

Heart pressure is fine as well, I did tests for a whole day and I only have a pulse on a lower end but it's not abnormal. I... don't know what to think. One symptom suggests muscle issue of some sorts which would make sense since I started some chest and core exercises during the day, but then the rules change at night time, randomly, and then it changes again when I'm active during the day. I don't understand.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.