Bizarre Upper Abdominal Pain, progressively worsening - Looking for answers :(

Posted , 25 users are following.

Just before I start - I have been seeing my doctor and I'm in the middle of various tests to get to the bottom of this - I just thought I would ask online to see if my symtoms are familiar to anybody to help me try and narrow this down, my 2 GPs are very baffled by my not so obvious symptoms so it's taking longer than I wished to get answers due to the varied tests I'm having done and really starting to affect my happiness. 

First off I'm a 25 yo Female, in good active shape, around 8.5st, I eat very well - mainly a vegan diet (but I include fish), don't smoke, very rarely drink, I walk a lot and jog and bike ride weekly.

Just over a month ago I first noticed the pain - I was walking back to my house and about half way into my walk I began to develop what I could only describe as a stitch just under my left rib with strong abdominal pain - I kept walking expecting it to 'click' out and go away as normal stitches do but it didn't, it gradually worsened as I kept walking with a throbbing feeling my partner was so baffled as I'm usually jogging around all of the time! I was walking so slow to mask the pain until I actually had to come to a halt and wait 5 minutes before I could then continue back to my house at a very slow pace. Once I'd arrived at my house the pain seeme to subside and I pretty much forgot about the incident as I didn't feel it happen again for a week afterwards. I thought it was just a bizarre one off event.

Fast forward to a week or so after this first incident and I was out in town doing some shopping and this exact same 'stitch' feeling came back, only it was much stronger it felt like someone was squeezing something just under my left rib really tightly. I had to stop mutlitple times and felt like I couldn't really move at all without the pain coming back.

Over the next few days the pain was always constantly 'there' even just inside my house but it was a dull pain with occassional sharp twinges depending on if I moved around too much (especially when I put my hands over my head) and it often spread to under my right rib - though the stitch when I was walking would always be on my left. Also I should add when it switched to the right there was no pain in the left - it will alternate. Sometimes I can just be sitting down relaxing and there will be a pulsing pain feeling under either my left or right rib - it feels like something is 'there' or something is causing pressure. Tensing my stomach makes the pain come back too.

My bowels are regular - no noticible changes but I do sometimes feel a little windy/pressured in my stomach but I have no constipation at all. No visable lumps or bumps and is not sore to the touch at all it just radiates pain itself from inside. Also no weight loss, fever or blood in stools etc.  

Enough was enough so I decided to go to my GP who  gave me a physical exam - I don't feel ANY pain when prodded in any area of my abdomen - even in the area where the pain presents itself.

I was sent for blood tests to rule out pancreas problems and some others. I had:

A urine sample which came back clear (no UTI) and several blood tests including; full blood count, amylace, calcium profile, liver function, urea & electrolytes - all of these came back clear. 

I then had a pregnancy test as a recommendation which also came back negative.

A week later I was sent for another blood test for clotting on the lungs to rule this out - this also came back negative and I have just been for a chest xray which I am waiting for results with (I should have these tomorrow though my doctor expects this to also be clear).

I am now waiting for a date to have an ultrasound scan of my abdomen, the day can't come soon enough! I suspect this very well be a cyst/ulcer/growth of some sort though I know very little of this subject.

I have nexplannon contreceptive implant in my arm and I have heard cysts can be a side effect - i'd be very upset if this is the reason behind my pain but it's still a possibility up to now.

Does anybody have some ideas of what this baffling pain can be? Some days it's tolerable but some times it can bring tears to my eyes and stop me in my tracks - the only way I can describe the pain is someone pulling a string around the area behind my ribs and tightening it and there seems to be little that stops it apart from keeping completely still. I'm just worried one day the pain is going to increase further and I'm going to be in the A&E which I really don't want to have to do.

If any of these symptoms sound familar then please reply and I can provide any answers to questions - I'm very tired of this baffling pain dictating my plans and I just want to return back to my usual lifestyle!

Thank you smile 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had similar situation turn out it was a cyst on my spleen. A cat scan or an mri should shoe it
  • Posted

Sarah I realized that this is an old post. However I may be able to help you if you are still wondering what this is. Chances are - your ultrasound and CT scan will be negative (which is a good sign). If they are - the pain you are experiencing is most likely related to your trasnsverse colon and it is caused by distention due to gas, or spasms of the transverse colon. It's just below the ribs going from right to left. Your stomach is actually higher up under the left rib cage and there is no way it would be hurting on the right where you describe it. The colon is the only organ that fully extends from far right to far left upper quadrants of the abdomen. When CT scan and ultrasound are negative - doctors may send you for a colonoscopy or Barium Enema test. I highly reccommend the latter - the Barium enema test will help the radiologist visualize your entire colon at length and tell you if you perhaps have a case of redundant colon. It is also less invasive than colonoscopy and will determine if there are any mucosal abnormalities in your colon with great degree of accuracy. My colon is highly redundant and I have been expperiencing very similar intractable pain to yours alternating between left and right (Left Upper and Right Upper) quadrants of abdomen.My pain would be better if I lied down and remained completely still - and I had to be on my back.  There were a couple of months when I had severe RUQ LUQ alternating pain that definitely felt like a strong spasm.  I feel much better now (still have flare ups some days) but I had to really adjust my diet. I picked a Low Residue Fibre Diet (You can Google it) I try to eat very little insoluble fiber and avoid like fire many things that could cause excessive gas and therefore distention. (like cucumbers) and other foods that seem to trigger my colon spasms like pierogies (any large quantity of wet dough). Of course these things are different for different individuals - so you may have to experiment. Sometimes I take buscopan which relieves those colon spasms. In terms of the possible diagnosis of your condition - look into Hepatic and Splenic Flexure Syndrome (you may have both) and Irritable Bowel Syndrome - something which also causes colon pain.
    • Posted

This is how I am feeling. I had diverticulitis in transcolon a few years ago but never had this swelling OR spasms. It spasms shortly after a meal. I started getting pain under rib cage and also pain can intensify from left then right.... My HIDA scan did show my gall bladder functioning only at 7% (30-35 is normal I'm told) so that is being removed on Tues 5/30. Something inside me says that I am not going to be completely symptom free. I have a fatty liver and my blood tests show elevation in levels that warrant a liver biopsy again so that is also going to be done. I do have a lot of belchiing which isn't normal for me and am experiencing the shoulder and back pain too. How did everything work out for you?

• Posted

Thank you Sarah for starting this discussion. I have been on Google searching for help with similar symptoms. I left the ER yesterday with no conclusion and I'm worried and anxious which isn't helping the problem. Mine started 2 nights ago while sitting down. I was watching TV and all of a sudden it felt like I had a huge gas bubble under my left rib cage. Nothing I've ever felt before. Gas bubbles yes, but not to this extreme. I retreated to bed only to be uncomfortable the entire night. It hurt to the touch especially between my rib cage. If I pushed on it, it especially hurt. It felt like a huge balloon was filling up slowly inside me. It hurt to move in any direction. I also started to feel nausea. I took myself to the er and they did all the test. Full bloood, ekg, ct, chest x ray and nothing abnormal. My blood pressure is fine too. I have been reading your replies and I am going to ask for a barium test and colonoscopy. I am lactose intolerent and have issues with gluten. I did eat a lot of cheese pizza from pizza Hut that day ( I know sad why? ) because I'm only human. I have recently been working out with arm weights. That day I even walked my usual 4 mile walk with a set of 2 pound arm weights. This doesn't feel like a strain or pull but I'm possibly thinking I have hernia. I'm thinking I either got hernia or the blocked air colon thing one of the repliers was talking about. I've been sleeping and only feel comfortable lying on my back. There is discomfort to take a deep breath in and to burp. I have no appetite but I am drinking plenty of water and camomile tea. I have had some prunes just so I can take a bm. I have not taken one since the day this started. I have gathered lots of information from your thread but if anyone has any info or insight I would greatly appreciate it. I too am rather healthy. Don't smoke or drunk at all and am active daily. This is very debilitating and I'm searching for answers. Thank you kindly
  • Posted

Me too, LUQ pain, comes and goes, with food / without. Stabbing pain under left ribs,hurts sitting, usually have to laydown . Sometimes it feels like a belt tightening too, it can bring me to my knees in pain and break out in sweats. Takes a few hours to pass, find heating pad placed on ribs helps it to pass quicker which leads me to believe spasms. Had all these tests that show nothing, of course when no pain present. Not like i can trigger it.
    • Posted

have you figured out what it is   do you stillhavde it?  after throwing up, does it partially relieve the pain?

• Posted

Sarah HBN I too had something similar symptoms to what you have nd my end result was I have 2 bulging disks in my thoracic part of my spine (found with an mri) ,had 3 injections of cortisone shots nd seemed to help a great deal,been pain free for a Lil over a week now .you got your good days ND bad, today is a bad day for me .but it won't last forever.good luck with your pain,I hope you get answers soon

Tory

• Posted

SarahHBN, Iam so sorry for your pain. Have you ever been to a Chiropractor ? Your symptoms are just like mine when I have a rib out of place . If you haven't ask around for a good chiropractor that uses a punch gun.Not one that does it the old fashion way by twisting you to put you in place. I have to be under regular care because I have so much inflammation in my body my ribs come out easily. The symptoms you described are exactly like what I experience. I hope this will help and it can be that simple, but no medical Dr will refer you or recognize this in ex rays or ultra sounds. The chiropractic should exray you BEFORE touching you and if you have insurance it should be covered. Hope this will help. Have a Blessed Day !

• Posted

I have the same exact pain I went to the doctor through test they took out my gallbladder that wasn't it I suffered with it for more time I did home remedies and one time I got some lemons and I cut them in half and drink all the juice out of them from that day on I haven't had any more pain I don't know what it was I just know it's gone yellow lemons

• Posted

Hi. I know this is a old post but did you find out the cause. I have the same. Mine starts if I twist awkward , bend or even yawn. It's really worrying me . Thanks

• Posted

Hi sarah,want to say I have the same exact symptoms at this very moment. I am also trying to find out what can I do to relieve this nagging pain.
  • Posted

OMG,   the same exact thing is happening to me,  have you found out whats wrong?   I have a 5k deductible, but almost went to the hospital a few times...  and im a hospice nurse,  so im afraid really to find out.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I know you made your post awhile back but am curious how you made out as I am experiencing a lot of the same things. I have the feeling that is almost like a lump that bulges and feels like a spasm. I had an ultrasound on abdomen due to symptoms worsening AFTER meals. I had a HIDA scan and Endoscopy and the scan determined my gall bladder was only functioning at 7% I have a fatty liver and am told my liver enzyme levels are elevated enough to warrant another liver biopsy. ( I have had 2 in the past)! I am having my gall bladder removed on Tuesday 5/30 but am not sure THAT is all I am experiencing. Please let me know how you made out.
  • Posted

I’m having this pain too - feels like a tightening under the ribs, fatigue and brain fog. Have had coeliac disease diagnosed on bloods three months ago and been GF since plus stopped lactose so vegan diet . Feel like crap. Awaiting gastro consult - could be a wait and can’t afford private care so seeking some answers meanwhile. Did any of you get answers to this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.