Bizarre Upper Abdominal Pain, progressively worsening - Looking for answers :(

Posted , 25 users are following.

Just before I start - I have been seeing my doctor and I'm in the middle of various tests to get to the bottom of this - I just thought I would ask online to see if my symtoms are familiar to anybody to help me try and narrow this down, my 2 GPs are very baffled by my not so obvious symptoms so it's taking longer than I wished to get answers due to the varied tests I'm having done and really starting to affect my happiness. 

First off I'm a 25 yo Female, in good active shape, around 8.5st, I eat very well - mainly a vegan diet (but I include fish), don't smoke, very rarely drink, I walk a lot and jog and bike ride weekly.

Just over a month ago I first noticed the pain - I was walking back to my house and about half way into my walk I began to develop what I could only describe as a stitch just under my left rib with strong abdominal pain - I kept walking expecting it to 'click' out and go away as normal stitches do but it didn't, it gradually worsened as I kept walking with a throbbing feeling my partner was so baffled as I'm usually jogging around all of the time! I was walking so slow to mask the pain until I actually had to come to a halt and wait 5 minutes before I could then continue back to my house at a very slow pace. Once I'd arrived at my house the pain seeme to subside and I pretty much forgot about the incident as I didn't feel it happen again for a week afterwards. I thought it was just a bizarre one off event.

Fast forward to a week or so after this first incident and I was out in town doing some shopping and this exact same 'stitch' feeling came back, only it was much stronger it felt like someone was squeezing something just under my left rib really tightly. I had to stop mutlitple times and felt like I couldn't really move at all without the pain coming back.

Over the next few days the pain was always constantly 'there' even just inside my house but it was a dull pain with occassional sharp twinges depending on if I moved around too much (especially when I put my hands over my head) and it often spread to under my right rib - though the stitch when I was walking would always be on my left. Also I should add when it switched to the right there was no pain in the left - it will alternate. Sometimes I can just be sitting down relaxing and there will be a pulsing pain feeling under either my left or right rib - it feels like something is 'there' or something is causing pressure. Tensing my stomach makes the pain come back too.

My bowels are regular - no noticible changes but I do sometimes feel a little windy/pressured in my stomach but I have no constipation at all. No visable lumps or bumps and is not sore to the touch at all it just radiates pain itself from inside. Also no weight loss, fever or blood in stools etc.  

Enough was enough so I decided to go to my GP who  gave me a physical exam - I don't feel ANY pain when prodded in any area of my abdomen - even in the area where the pain presents itself.

I was sent for blood tests to rule out pancreas problems and some others. I had:

A urine sample which came back clear (no UTI) and several blood tests including; full blood count, amylace, calcium profile, liver function, urea & electrolytes - all of these came back clear. 

I then had a pregnancy test as a recommendation which also came back negative.

A week later I was sent for another blood test for clotting on the lungs to rule this out - this also came back negative and I have just been for a chest xray which I am waiting for results with (I should have these tomorrow though my doctor expects this to also be clear).

I am now waiting for a date to have an ultrasound scan of my abdomen, the day can't come soon enough! I suspect this very well be a cyst/ulcer/growth of some sort though I know very little of this subject.

I have nexplannon contreceptive implant in my arm and I have heard cysts can be a side effect - i'd be very upset if this is the reason behind my pain but it's still a possibility up to now.

Does anybody have some ideas of what this baffling pain can be? Some days it's tolerable but some times it can bring tears to my eyes and stop me in my tracks - the only way I can describe the pain is someone pulling a string around the area behind my ribs and tightening it and there seems to be little that stops it apart from keeping completely still. I'm just worried one day the pain is going to increase further and I'm going to be in the A&E which I really don't want to have to do.

If any of these symptoms sound familar then please reply and I can provide any answers to questions - I'm very tired of this baffling pain dictating my plans and I just want to return back to my usual lifestyle!

Thank you smile 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sarah,

I am having similar issues.  Sometimes it starts on the right but always end up on the left and just stays there. Yesterday nothing and this morning its there.  I have only had 2 times where my pain was pretty intense but it only lasted for minutes.  If you read about IBS, it might shed some light on your left side pain.  Trust me, I know everyone tells us not to google health issues but GOOGLE has become a great friend.  Left abdominal pain is very common in IBS patients and you don't have to have diarrhea or constipation to have IBS (found that out to on Google)  anyway....might be something that can put your mind at ease.  I have a GI appt on Feb 1st, so I will definitely find out more.

Im sure your X-ray results came back and I'm sure everything was fine.  If your still having issues, try and schedule a GI appt. smile

Take care and Thank you for sharing.

• Posted

Sarah...OMG...I thought I read 4 days ago when you posted this, not 4 years ago. LOL...well I hope all is well.  Take Care.
  • Posted

I read your post and I have been having a very similar problem -- I also have that "weird" pressure like there is a balloon pressing against me from inside. It got so intense at one point I was reaching for something on a shelf at the store and thought I had ruptured something, the pain goes away after a while and its dull but definitely always comes back. If you find out anything plz keep us updated as it would be interesting to hear what your doctor figures out. I really hope you find something out soon though and that you feel better! Good luck!

• Posted

I would like to say ,I'm having the same symptoms and seeing a doctor for them . I'm getting a CT scan soon . I'll let you know the outcome if you want. My pain has been going on for 5 months now and getting worse. Let me know what they find out with you maybe we can help each other.

• Posted

I've been having this upper left pain too I've booked an appointment an have yet to see a doctor . When I was young I had an accident I was in a park with my older brother and I saw a ice cream truck park out of the entrance I ran towards the truck cuz you know Que can be long . Anyways as I ran my name was called so I turned my head . There was a pole like object which was mounted on the ground kinda like something you hurdle over or swing under . the end of this was centerd towards me i ran straight into it on you guest it upper left side stomach. I fell instantly no air I could nearly even hear around me it was horrific even my brother didn't know or understand was I was feeling he told me to get up I couldn't even process information people talking I was overwhelmed in pain . Things got worse I noticed when I was lifted up . By my bro I tasted blood in my mouth and so at it out shocked as we were my bro calls an ambulance and then my mom immediately my mom shows up faster than speed of light I was rushed to hospital I had to spend a month in there test after test turned out I had completely shifted something in that regardless I still thank God because I'm still here. Doctors Said to my mom you have two options 1 have surgery but we can't guarantee you 'll be ok or 2 leave it let it heal its self . My mom fearing the worst decided to leave it I did get better and heal the pain went . That was at least 12 years ago and have recently started feeling the pains again I've also been feeling tired more tired than usual like something us stealing my nutrients . Last night I barely slept its so excuses my language so f*****g annoying and shirts on my moods. But dealing with it is not easy I refuse to give up though it's very important don't give in to the bad feelings it can wear you down mentally . I've been using healing frequencies and vibrations believe what you will but it defiantly does something . Hope you get well and any one going through this keep your spirit high God bless you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.