Bizzarre but true, this may help you.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My story is utterly bizarre but true, I'll try to keep it brief.

After suffering pinworm infections for the past 20 years on and off, trying everything and nothing worked, I was finally prescribed anti depressants after admitting to the doctor that I had only ever felt them but not seen them, and my symptoms dissapeared almost overnight, so now you might be thinking I never really had them, but I know I did, because at first I took mebenzadole and the symptoms cleared up, but they kept coming back, and now I'll never know if I was getting repeatedly infected or if at some stage they became phantom worms, and the reason I'll never know, is the total reality of my symptoms, i.e recognising the larger females, their exact location, if there was more than one, if there were newly hatched larva and where they were, if they were 'biting' in inside my rectum, and my ability to wash / scratch the itch away, and control the severity of the itching by eliminating sugar and carbohydrates, not to mention all other remedies found on this and other sites.

Obviously if you have actually seen the worms and can present them to a G P then this is not for you, as you will have them for real, but my resistance to believing these were not in my mind kept me suffering for 2 misarable decades, when I did open up my eyes to the possibility, I read about delusional parasitosis, apparently it affects older white women, don't ask me why, but it's worth exploring, anyway I fit the bill, and as if that weren't nut's enough in itself, after several years being free I got the symptoms again, and it took me 1 and a half years to go back to the doctor again, because, again, I believed I had them for real, due to eating with my hands after stroking an animal, and still being on the antidepressants ruled out the phantom theory.

By the way, I am anything but depressed, I have a wonderful life, but I did suffer a major trauma around the time of my first infection, I don't know if this has any bearing on it or not, but anyway, 

SO, for the 2nd time, the antidepressants worked after I upped the dose for 1 week, I just wished I had gone to the GP sooner.

I just also want to add to the lady who felt worms coming out of her eyes, I'm not a doctor, and it may be you actually had worm eggs on your pillow or hands hatching, although I'm not sure of the likelihood of that, but to you, and to anyone else reading this, in the interests of eliminating every possibility, it might be worth discussing this with your GP, utter depsparation eventually got me there, and desperate people will try anything, so why not this? I really hope this helps someone out there like me, and I'd die of shame if anyone I knew found out who I was, but I had to send this message of hope out and hope it works.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have u checked at night time? Sorry I did not have time to read all description so if said u have please don't hate me!! Um yeah, I had it and I was given a type of tablet called , I can't remember but at least you have got rid of it!! Hope u feel better soon!!!!
  • Posted

Wow!! I was wondering if that might be the case with some people; especially the ones who continues having them with no signs. I do believe this could easily happen as once a person has to deal with any type of infestation from: scabies to headlice to pinworms, etc, etc; all can make a person hyper vigilante in the least and paranoid in worse scenarios. Can't say as I blame anybody for getting paranoid. My entire family thinks I'm paranoid because the Drs test came back negative (but apparently, they do come back neg in 80% of the cases). My family virtually refuses to take the Combantrin since they think I really don't have them. Nothing is ever "clean" enough and I wash the toilet seat with rubbing alcohol after every use (that I know about). I'm hesitating to take the Combantrin again since my family won't take it also. My Dr says it won't work if my entire family doesn't take it also. Hubby is also complaining at me washing the sheets and blankets everyday. I've offered to give them a live "visual" but they just tell me "No...you're just losing it.". Anyway, I see my Dr tomorrow and I'll see what she says re my fam not taking the treatment. Good luck to all; whether you still have them or not. My best wishes to all.
  • Posted

So you think this is in my head?? I'm not offended I just want this to end and be normal again
    • Posted

Hi Takia,

I think it's worth exploring the possibility that it might be in your head, just in the interests of eliminating all possible causes of your symptoms, at least then you would be able to rule it out and say you had tried everything that was on offer to you, by the time my GP suggested my symptoms were in my head I was ground down by this illness for so long I wanted to believe him but didn't, the reason I wanted to believe him is that he was offering a solution in th e form of antideressants, as opposed to all the other doctors who told me there was nothing wrong with me and were unable to treat me or offer an alternative, which left me powerless and very depressed.

I really feel for you because your symptoms ARE real and it must be horrific for you, whether it is in your head or there is another explaination.

All I'd say is keep an open mind, what have you got to lose? I really hope for you that you find a solution as I have : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.