Black bowel movements

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I have chronic Gastritis,  “inflammation of the stomach and small bowel”. I am taking lansoprazole and Rinitidine. I have been having issues with light coloured bowel movements for some time, thought it might be something to do with gill bladder or liver. But now for the past 4 days, my bowel movements are very dark with areas that look black, I’ve also been getting really bad nausea, does anyone have any idea as what this can be? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lansoprazole can cause nausea and black stools!  I would come off this medication and stick to your H2 blocker instead.

• Posted

Hi Pippa

I’ve been on and off Lansoprazole for a couple of years, I’ve never had this colour of bowel movements on it, until now. I tried to just use Rinitidine, but it’s not working in its own. 🙁. 

• Posted

Black stools may also be caused by bleeding higher up in your stomach.
  • Posted

hello Gillian. I highly recommend you to visit your doctor. black stool could be indication of bleeding in your stomach or intestine. if it's a one off I wouldn't worry but if you're seeing this constantly go see your doctor. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi

I’ve been seeing the black stools for 4 days, and I’m getting really bad nausea and headaches. I’m really tired. I think I might go to the doc’s, get them to give me a blood test and check my poo. 🙁

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I also have Gasritis, Duodenitis and a stomach ulcer and take Osemeprazole and Ranitidine. They don't work at all. I have had black stools in the past for 3 days. It means that your stomach is bleeding inside. You need to go to the doctors for blood tests soon as. You don't need to panic. It won't kill you.lol. It can be brought on by ibruprophen- inflammatory drugs etc.I have nausea everyday for hours.I used to vomit, but since I had an operation on my stomach valve I can't be sick ever again. It's can be either of these conditions we have cause this.What do you take for the pain? I am in agont 24 -7. I'm on codydramol. but it's not much cop. I have to have another op now as the ppi don't . A partial gastrectomy- taking the bottom part of the stomach out. I have no choice as theirs no cure for me as its genetic. good luck. I'm sure you will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I just take Rinitidine and Lansoprazole. Although I take it for Gastritis, I also suffer from daily acid reflux, hearburn and indegestion. The rinitidine wont work on its own, I hate taking the PPI’s but can’t get by without them. I also get upper right quadrant pain that I’ve been getting on and off for about a year. I’ve been bothered with light coloured bowel movements for a long time, constipation and diarrhoea. But for the last few days, I’ve been having at least one vowel movement a day, very large one, dark brown, with black through it, not black spots, but black patches, quite big in areas, been feeling nauseas, really tired, headaches, not feeling great at all. 🙁

• Posted

Hi Gillian.Well, I don't think you have a bowel problem as you are passing stools regular. I have acid reflux coming up in my throat every night when I'm sleeping and have suffered a bleeding throat for weeks on end, off and on for the last 5 years. I have been taking the ppis since 2000 and over the last 7 years they havn't been working. This is the second time I have had Gastritis and Doudenitis in the last year. In addition, I have a raw gastric ulcer and none of which can be cured. This is the 4th ulcer I have had since I am 25 and I am now 60. My mother have had these problems all her life and she is 92 this year. People who don,t have it have no idea how debilitating it is. It spoils your whole life. I gave up smoking 4 years ago and havn't drank alcohol for 14 years.i have severe pain right in middle of the top of my abdomen and it is like a wide band of pain right around to my back. You don't mention whether you have seen a Gasterenterologist for tests. I am a qualified Herbal Medicine Practitioner and I am still looking for an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs. It's no easy task.The condition we have involves the hydrocholic acid in the stomach eating away the stomach lining. The acid also tend to eat anything else it comes across as well. That's why all medications only work 50% of the time.The currant research on ppis state that they are soaking up to much of the acid and this is causing all the problems. Give it a read. See what you think.

• Posted

Hi I had black stools for two days a couple of months ago after an acid reflux attack which produced black stringy stuff I coughed up which I presumed was old blood.  I was put on an urgent referal to the hospital and had an endoscopy all within 10 days of it happening.

my results were sliding hiatis hernia and Gastritis and Doudenitis. I was put on Lansoprazole but told that the gastritis caused the bleed. 

Its quite scary when it happens and it’s best to see your doctor and they will decide what the best action to take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.