Black coffee make a difference in Hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Im newly diagnosed and awaiting clinic appt. On bisoprolol and carbimazole meantime.  so far so good a few aches and pains but nothing untoward at the mo.

My question is this, before diagnosis (atrial fibrillation was my presenting symptom) my favourite drink was black coffee, which i dran all day.  Now Im a bit nervous about drinking it with hyperthyroid.  Does it make a difference?

Also has anyone experience of taking vitamins in large doses and doctors attitudes about them?

thankyou

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Doctors will rarely endorse vitamins or alternative medicine but I take supplements and always have done regardless of what they say.  However you say large doses??  It is always best to stay within the recommended guidelines that are on the bottle.

As far as all day coffee is concerned - I'd stay off it.  You really don't need all that caffeine, even if you were completely healthy. 

• Posted

What dose of Carbimazole are you on?  That is waaay too much coffee and you are going to have one doozy of a headache if you abruptly stop it.  Why don't you decrease to 1 or 2 cups a day?  The supplements that were most helpful to my recovery were Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg daily (really helps with muscle pain and weakness), vitamin D3 1,000 to 5,000 IU daily and Magnesium 200 mg daily, also anti-inflammatories like Omega 3, 1,000 mg a day and curcumin.
    • Posted

Hi I'm on 30 mg carbomazole daily and 2.5 mg bisoprolol. Have had bit of headache so maybe try reduce coffee slowly. Interesting about supplements, I'll have a look in local health food store. Thanks for the details. X
    • Posted

There was a research study done on the benefits of L-Carnitine at that dose in hyperthyroid patients.  The conclusion was that all patients benefitted.  I know it benefitted me because though I had normal FT3 and FT4 with the meds, my TSH was not rise from less than 0.001 and as soon as I started the Carnitine, it did.   Have added the other ones since.  The hyper speed of metabolism in hyperthyroid patients causes us to get depleted in a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids so supplementing them makes sense.
  • Posted

Hi. I'd agree about the l carnetine and add the recommendation that u look into magnesium. This will help your palpitations and heart generally. Isn't bisoprolol to help digestion ? If so this is another symptom of magnesium deficit. Best wishes. (Magnesium glycinate possibly has the best absorption. )
    • Posted

Hi Leigh, Thankyou for recommendation on magnesium. Will look into it. Bisoprolol is beta blocker for heart, and it surely did go off on one so magnesium sounds like it could be useful there. Did you run it past your doctor first can I ask?
  • Posted

I agree, that's too much caffeine. As far as I know, your metabolism is already too fast and caffeine will increase this further and make you more shaky and jittery, plus increasing your heart rate. Best to cut down and avoid alltogether. Vitamins and things won't really help with thyroid problems I don't think. There's no deficiency of vitamins involved. But take them for general health.
    • Posted

Jenna, that is not true.  All hyperthyroid patients become vitamin deficient when their metabolisms are running so fast.  They lose carnitine from their muscles thru urination.  And that's true of other vitamins and minerals too.  Everything I was tested for, I was deficient in - Carnitine, vitamin D and magnesium.  Doctors do not know this because they are not trained in this, except for the doctor in Italy who did the study on L-carnitine and hyperthyroid patients.  Patients on other Boards find that they recover faster and feel better when they add important supplements to their treatment plan.  My endocrinologist almost fell over when I raised my TSH from 0.12 to 1.5 and I showed him the bottle of carnitine that did it.
  • Posted

Definitely would cut down on caffeine. I agree with a lot of the other replies about vitamins/supplements - one point about magnesium is that we absorb it best through our skin so get some magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) for your bath and have a long soak once a week.  I also take rosehip which is a powerful antioxidant and a probiotic to help uptake of nutrients in your diet. Good luck.
  • Posted

OH MY GOD DO NOT DRINK REGULAR COFFEE! I almost had a heart attack from the caffine. I would recomend Decaf tea or coffee but no matter what you do, DO NOT drink regular coffee with the caffine it will make your sympthoms worse and it is just an overall bad idea. Avoid if possible at all cost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.