Black pieces in stools

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

This past week I've been having normal bowel movements compared to other weeks where I was either constipated or had diarrhoea (I do believe i suffer from IBS). However, the last 3 days I've had discomfort / tenderness in the lower left abdominal area. Today I passed 2 bowel movements, both dark brown in colour with undigested food found in my stools that were black in colour that were grouped together in chunks in my brown stool.

The last week my diet has been poor, from nearly having takeaway (KFC & McDonalds) every night to processed foods such M&Ms, chips, BBQs, you name it.

I’ve been able to pass gas, produce stools and still eating regularly without any pain or discomfort.

Is this something to be concerned about? Is it blood? Has anyone experienced this before?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi , it really dont sound like the common blood in stool case . You are probably sore from being constipated along with some diarrhea , this is hard on your system .. Last weeks food choices on an unsettled gut system is showing in your bowel movements . Give it time to rest ,by eating healthy veggies , fruits and meats but not red meats ,only a couple of weeks . You have no pain and you still have bowel movements regularly . Youre ok , , also drink at least 4 to 6 cups of water a day , see your results after two weeks

• Posted

Hi Vicky. Thanks for clarifying, it must be heavily irritated. However, I do have concern with pain in my lower left abdominal area. It comes and goes, quite tender when I push down on it when laying down flat.

I've drink more than average Joe with water along with peppermint tea to help settle the bowels. Movements are regular, however I am still finding undigested food in my stools.

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with IBS? As you say, it sounds like undigested food. I would switch to fresh home cooked meals and if symptoms continue, see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, no not just yet but my GP suspects it is. This is why she has schedule both a endoscopy and colonoscopy to check out what's going as I've had the above issue before.

I've started to keep track of what I'm eating and symptoms after it to see what is triggering. My main concern was the black parts in my stool and the left lower abdominal pain I've been getting that's tender when I touch it.

• Posted

Trouble digesting certain foods and sore to touch abdominal pain, particularly on the left side are common IBS symptoms. Pain typically moves about.

• Posted

You've really put me at ease as that's my exact symptoms. Thanks for helping me out here.

• Posted

hey is it normal now have you found what is it ? i have exactly the same same probkem .what was the reason for yours nothing serious ? do reply man ? would be very useful and helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.