Black rim at corner of eye after cataract surgury

Posted , 21 users are following.

I had my right eye operated for cataract a month ago, ever since I took the patch off the next day after the operation, there has been this  thin back rim at the far end corner of my eye. The doctor who operated me assured me the surgery went well and he saw nothing wrong, and if there is, there is nothing he can do. Went to another doctor, she said it may be due to the small pupils I have and how my retinal is, says I will notice it less eventually. Went to to a  third doctor, he said it happens when the IOLs are acrylic, but will not do anything about it since my vision is 20/20 after the operation, He said he can operate my other eye and use a PMMA iol instead, he also added that PMMA lens are not foldable as acrylic lens, therefore he will need to make a bigger incision. I don't know what to believe and I am scared to have my other eye operated. I hope someone in this board can shed some insight on my case. Thank you.

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Peggy,  I had cataract surgery on both eyes in January and have the same issue.  I have it at the edges of both eyes.  To me, it feels like wearing blinders or like my eyelids are not open completely, but that is not the case.    I did not expect any such side effects of the surgery and none other has possible infection were mentioned.  I had extensive measurements done by a technician before the surgery.  The surgeon said my “brain would adjust” which did not make me happy as there was no mention of this issue in the instructions and literature I read.  Now the surgeon said it may resolve in time and to contact him in a couple of months if it is not better and he will dialate my eyes and check the lenses.  I hope your issue is resolving and hope to hear back from you.  My “instructions” said it could take 3-10 weeks for final results, but I don’t know if that means issues like we here in this thread are having.    Diana in CA.
    • Posted

To Diana19148,

YAG is a lasar surgery, approximately 30 seconds long, where they laser beam little holes in the dark area to allegedly allow light to flow through. The problem is that if that does not correct the surgery, you cannot later replace the lens.

• Posted

I was offered laser surgery just recently, but it can increase the chance of a detached retina for a number of months following the laser procedure so I opted not to have that.

• Posted

I had surgery on one eye in October and did well. I had the other eye done a month ago. I was seeing 20/20 in 3 days but was having trouble with the black curved line. I had it checked and my doctor said I was seeing the edge of the lens and it could last several weeks. I also had laser surgery due to Fuchs Dystrophy. I can see well without glasses so am happy about that. My eyes wee measured and then double checked by the doctor. I also had concerns about my left eye as I had a birth defect and the eye doesn't move out. My doctor was aware of this and marked my eye right before surgery. I'm going this goes away as it is annoying. I also feel like my eye lid is drooping which it is not. If I hold my hard to the side of my eye, it goes away as light doesnt get in the side of the eye. I have a wonderful young surgeon whom I trust completely so don't blame him. I guess any time we have surgery problems can arise. I'm just hoping it will eventually go away but if it doesn't, I know there are a lots of people a lot worse than I am. I CAN SEE and I am very thankful.

• Posted

Thankyou to everyone about this side effect.I had cataract surgery 5 days ago and while my long distant vision is so much better I have the dark rim effect down the side of my eye.It is a bit annoying.I see my eye surgeon in a few days.I feel better knowing I am not the only one to have this problem.
    • Posted

I read online while searching to find out about the dark crescents on each outer edge of my eyesight and found that 1 in 10 have this!  And to see how many posted here have it, makes me think the surgeons are not explaining that this is not a "rare" occurrence, but can happen to one in 10 people after cataract surgery.  

• Posted

Hi, good news for me is over time it becomes unnoticable so i think people should be more patient after surgery because at the end of the day its our eyes we are talking about, a very complex surgery with a high success rate. I think these are minor issues that will go away and considering the much improved eyesight i have its a small price to pay.

• Posted

My eyesight is improved, but now, nearly one year and I still have the sense of "blinders" and a kind of "closed in" feeling. I guess I will get used to that, but I don't expect my brain to cause it to somehow go away. Yes, it is our eyesight and that is extremely important. I think one year waiting to see final results, means I have been patiently waiting for that blinder effect to go away and it has not. I can live with it; I just never expected to have any problems, except for droopy eyelids mentioned in the literature given to be before the surgery.

• Posted

Hi Peggy your doctor is correct in saying you will notice it less over time. My surgery was nearly 2 years ago now and to be honest i do not even notice the dark rims anymore, infact i can only notice them now when i actually cross my eyes and then its noticable. I too have 20/20 vision and to be honest the super vision i have now, driving without glassess, reading signs from a distance is far better than the dark rims which are not noticable any more. Be patient and enjoy your 20/20 vision.

• Posted

hi Peggy, Ive recently had the lens replaced in both eyes. And also have a black rim at the outside and below each eye. I have a theory that its caused by the replacement lenses not being as big as the lenses they replaced and so the space left is a void. BLACKNESS. Which I suspect is what wed have without lenses full black. My surgeon too says all is fine. but thats on his side of my eyes. From my side, I feel Id have been better with keeping my cataract eyes lenses. As my vision is now like looking into a tunnel, sometimes its very miod changing and other times my vision fogs up at least as bad as cataracts. in my view DONT GET THE SECOND EYE DONE. UNTIL THE ANSWER IS FOUND FOR WHY YOU HAVE THE BLACK RIM. I thought it would get better as it settles down. it hasnt. dont get the second lens replaced until the first is renovated, whatever is needed to put it right. I JUST WISH ID NEVER HAD MY CATARACTS REMOVED. MY SIGHT WAS BETTER BEFORE THE REPLACEMENTS.

• Posted

It occurs to me, no one mentioned this tunnel vision effect before I had the job done. And looking here, I learn its quite a usual problem. My advice to anyone considering cataract removal ops. Don't do it. cloudy smokey vision is better by far than black tunnel vision, I can assure you. perhaps my theory might be investigated, where the replacement lens is smaller than the one it replaced, thus suggesting a larger lens be fitted. or at least better measurement before cutting.

• Posted

i had no option as i have glaucoma and had to have it done but i must not be as bad as you or my brain has adjusted to it better than yours. surgeon said the brain will adjust. so sorry you are having such trouble. i really dont notice it unless i concentrate on trying to see the black lines,

• Posted

there is an option. i will have surgery in March to lift the lens slightly, one eye first. the dr and other drs she consulted believe this will resolve the issue. if it does, the other eye will be done.

• Posted

my cataracts made it dangerous to drive at night. I am glad i had it done but also glad to pursue a remedy for the black at sides if vision. They do not obstruct my vision but make me feel as though my eyes are closing like when i am sleepy, even tho i am not sleepy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.