Black spot on finger

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, so, not sure if this is the best place to post this but not sure where else to try! For the last 2 weeks I have had a small black spot appear under the skin of the thumb on my right hand near the top of the nail, but in the thumb itself, not under the nail. Prior to this I had 2 other little areas on that sane thumb but in different places, but they went within a couple of days. They have all been quite tender, though this one is getting less so over time. The skin around and over it feels quite hard now.

I have had blood blisters and splinters before. This is not either of those.

The nail on this thumb has also gotten a bit weird recently in that it grows with horizontal ridges all way up, particularly in the middle giving it a bit of a vertical dip all the way up the middle too. I'm not sure it's related, but strange it's all on the same finger!

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I don't really feel it's anything I need to see a doctor about at this stage, though if it starts getting bigger or painful obviously I would, just curious what it is!

Any thoughts welcomed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you been ill lately?   They could all be related. The horizontal lines on your nails were probably formed several months ago,because of illness or a trauma or an underlying nail condition.  You really should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, the ridges are literally solidy up the nail from base to tip in varying degrees of depth. I so have some slight ones in some other nails, but no where near as bad as that one! I've been having a lot of gastic problems, which no one can find a reason for or are really that worried about, upper right abdo pain and nausea and vomitting, the gastro doc did look at my nails at my initial appointment and didn't seem concerned, but they have gotten worse since then. Mentioned it to my gp who also just shrugged it off! Guess I just have an odd finger!

• Posted

Dont know how old you are but both finger and toenails often start to develop dips and ridges as people get older.  Have you had a scan for your gastro problems? Sounds like gall stones.   They are quite common in females over 40 especially if you have a high fat diet.   Have you thought about a sensitivity to any food? Again,as we age some people develop these problems. Dairy intolerance and gluten [wheat intolerance] can often start.      
    • Posted

I'm only 32, hence I think they're not tart worried as I'm too young for it to be anything serious. I know vertical ridges are common with age, but not really heard of horizontal ridges before. I've had an ultrasound and gastroscopy, all fine, bit of bile reflux, but nothing to explain my symptoms. Gallbladder was fine and it's not pain that's related to eating fatty foods, with the pain being on the right that was my first thought. Also thought about food sensitivities and kept a food and symptoms diary for a long while to see if it produced any patterns. Nothing! Doctors are currently crying ibs, I've had ibs of the lower bowel for years, and that's not what this feels like, but willing to try anything if it might help!

• Posted

You need to get this checked out asap. Any new mole or black dot should be assessed by a doc. This should not be your source of info so you can put it to the back of you mind when people say it's probably nothing. GET IT CHECKED!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.