Blackout whilst driving

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've experienced palpitations occasionally over the last few years which last a few seconds and take my breath away. They have never bothered me. Yesterday I had been driving for a few minutes when I experienced a large palpitation which really took my breath away and caused me to blackout for a few seconds. Fortunately no damage to anyone or the car, just scared the living daylights out of me. My only after effect is a bad headache.

Today I had ECG which was normal and several blood tests which again showed nothing out of the ordinary. I have been referred to a cardiologist with appointment in 2 weeks. I have been told not to drive until I have seen him.

Im not sure what caused it but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this type of thing. I cant say at this time if it is cardiac arrhythmia as this is not a regular irregular heat beat! Any comments appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I do have permanent atrial fibrillation that mostly I do not notice. One night recently as I was about to go to bed there was a terrific thump in my chest. I almost passed out and fell onto the bed with sweat lashing off me. 

I would normally associate a thump with ectopic beats.

• Posted

Sounds like symptoms I had. I had heart pause. I had a monitor, they found I had a 3 second pause and a 4 second one.Noticeably, except if it happens while driving, or call and hit your head. I have Sick so us syndrome. So now have a pacemaker.No more pauses, feel better too!!. Definitely, don't drive till you get to cardio Dr. Good lol I!!

• Posted

Same with me. I had 3.5 second pauses but usually when I was asleep. My day time heart rate was in the 40's and would go to mid 30's when asleep. The other person having a pacemaker fitted the day I was there had a heart rate going down 26 and was not aware of it untl he had pre op test for a hip replacement..                                                                                                                                            

• Posted

Wow that is scary low. I had a friend who had their heart rate that low and they rushed her to hospital... could have stopped her heart.Yes,my heart pause was when I was asleep once and the other right after surgury( knee) that one I was not so concerned about. But, still have the pacer!I feel it was the right thing to do. My heart rate during day was in 50's . They are a blessing I think. Glad you are ok!

• Posted

Apart from being in permanent AF that I mostly am not aware of as my heart rate seems not to go too high. However the pacemaker clinic said that 140bpm has been recorded. I am never happy with them as they are always in a hurry and don't give feed back and try to ignore my questions. 

• Posted

I feel the same way Derek, they never answered any of questions. And when I call the Dr. for the report, the assistant ( nobody has nurses anymore says) They didn't see any events. What the neck. I have had Afib once, started about a month and a half ago. Mine started with skipping irregular beats and then fast. But they said it never went over 110. It felt awful, I thought I was a goner. The Dr said my monitor said it lasted for 51 min. I only felt it for about 15. He said it looked "ugly" I said it felt that way too!! I am now on metoprolol low dose, a n d pradaxa blood thinner. I feel very tired and depression is rearing its ugly head. I don't know when the next attack may happen . I believe getting the pacemaker caused the afib. Honest. I also have tricyclic regurgitation and he said the pacemaker does cause that. Gee thanks. Well, enough complaining, it doesn't help and makes me a whiner! Hope you have a good day today. I did want to say, what does permanent Afib feel like?? I hope it doesn't feel like the irregular beats and skips all the time! I would not service that. My doctor says mine will progress. I asked, so why don't we do an ablation now. He said no too soon!! Take care of yourself Mabelf

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Nice to get the feedback.

My appointment with the consultant is 2 weeks today so not too long to wait.

It's strange the ECG shows nothing adverse. My GP did say however that a monitor might be used to check over a period of time.

It's pretty scary. When the palpitations occur they just take the breath away for a few seconds. Only once have i blacked out and that was the last major attack i had.

Thanks again

• Posted

They call the blackouts 'syncope' They usually happen with palpitations, AF and to a lesser degree ectopic beats.

ECG's really just catch that moment or few seconds in time. Often even a 7 day monitor cannot not find anything but from your post they are frequent enough to catch. They ask you to press a button 

when you have an incident and to take note of it.

• Posted

Usually there is quite a wait to get a monitor.I think that I waited about two months 
  • Posted

So still waiting for the 24hr monitir but, following the stress treadmill test, the cardiologist diagnosed angina. I will start beta blockers once holter test shows no sudden drop in heart rate.

Used GTN spray for 1st time yesterday and chest pain went eithin minutes although very light headed for 30 mins or so.

Still get palpitations but hopefully the beta blockers will help.

Will be able to drive again in November if beta blockers have no adverse effect.

• Posted

I Harv it happen to me 2 days ago- turning to park the lot of Walmart and everything went black- all I can recall is hearing someone yelling not to move and then getting out as if I was in a nightmare / didn’t know what the heck happened- 

Again today while taking my daughter to school as I was turning 1/2 of everything went black, Blessed we were because I missed the berm in the middle of the road- 

Don’t know what it could be- just had blood work all was good- I had at the time no headache or remember my chest pounding however I do see a Neurologist as well as a cardiologist - haven’t taken heart meds for 2 mo that after I lost it and waiting on the pharmacy to contact the Doc- 

I do recall having pain the day prior in my neck where I had a  C5/C6 fusion- and feeling dizzy upon standing- pain and burning down my r arm- 

I’m petrafide to drive-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.