Blackouts

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all, Hope you are all well and coping with our shared problem.

I write today about blackouts as three times in the last month I have woken up in a random area of London without a clue how I got there. I'm slightly worried about this as the regularity seems to have gone up. Can anyone suggest why? 

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

stop drinking
    • Posted

Nice one Andy. You'll be glad to know since reading this I have now quit drinking. Thanks mate who knew it would be so easy?!

• Posted

Well done tre, but please be careful. If you are addicted to alcohol stopping just like that can have very serious health consequences, including seizures which can be fatal. If you find yourself having severe withdrawal symptoms eg shakes or sweats you need to have a drink so they don't get worse. Google alcohol use disorder, alcohol withdrawal and the Sinclair method as already suggested. Read them thoroughly and take them to your gp. Explain your drinking and the blackouts and that you seriously want to stop drinking like this and that you want their help, before you end up in A and E. I really do wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi H,

Wise words. I am actually drinking now and alternating with water. Just to keep hydrated but sleep as well hopefully. I will be going to the doctor with some knowledge next time

• Posted

Tre, don't know if you've seen the Patient page on TSM, here it is just in case:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Missy is right, with Campral you decide to swear it off and take the Campral every day. It kills the cravings and the triggers. With TSM, you continue to drink, but the compulsion to drink is slowly erased over a number of months. The pill is only taken on days that you drink. 

It took me about 5 months, over the last month I've had 9 beers and most of my days have been dry. I get a snippet of the old desire to drink, but it ends up being like when you get an odd urge to eat something, but you look into the fridge and nothing grabs you. 

• Posted

I regularly had blackouts before I became indifferent to alcohol but my husband could drink more than me and he has never had a blackout
    • Posted

What is considered a blackout?  I fall asleep as soon as I get in bed.

Is that the same?  Im going to speak to my gp about Campral.  When I told her of my problem she just referred me to a Smart Recovery unit and said they would let her know of my progress.  But it is a bit of a drive and I know I won't stick to it so have not been.  I need something that is near me - like my gp.  Don't fancy AA at all.  But I have seen that our local hospital has an Alcohol unit - I have not yet been to see them, what would they be able to do for me.

Thanks for any advice, it really is appreciated.  This situation is all consuming in my mind and my anxiety is right up there with worry about disappearing off the planet and leaviing my husband who will go to pieces.  This is such a nightmare.

G.

• Posted

A blackout is where you pass out in an uncontrolled manner, have little or no recollection of it happening when you recover consciousness and often find yourself in unfamiliar surroundings.

Sleep, is where you are usually un familiar surroundings, where you no you are safe (usually your home) and you have deliberately allowed yourself to fall asleep and it is controlled.

Be prepared to have to go to Smart Recovery to get Campral, most GPs won't hand it out and be prepared to have demand it and be quite forceful, as most ARCs prefer to chat rather than medicate, which is fine for them, because they aren't slowly killing themselves through alcohol.

• Posted

are you a sleep walker tre?
    • Posted

Hi Richard.

No I don't sleepwalk generally. I just am somewhere one minute, usually out having a good time, and then the next thing I know im in an area of town i've never been to. The main problem is the last two time I woke up/came round at like 4am and wondered around for hours until i found a bus/train home.

• Posted

your brain must be shutting down then due to the alcohol and you are on autopilot.  Must be frightening to not know where you are when you wake up again. Can you cut down your intake a bit?
  • Posted

Hi. Just sharing my history if it helps a bit. I was brought up in a very anti alcohol home and had my first taste of beer when I was 21, after I left home. Developed a liking for it and 'progressed' to up to 1/2 litre of whisky some days - more often than not. I became short tempered quite quickly and needed a sleep about 7 pm etc. My wife was very tolerant, fortunately. Then on 11/2/2007 at 5 pm I was standing by an open window, (Summer here) and threw the drink outside, muttering 'I don't want to do this any more.' Next anniversary will be 10 years completely alcohol free! On those days, my wife gives me a note showing how much money I have saved. Quite a lot too! I wrote this just to say that you can stop if you want to. In my case, it was unplanned, it just happened. Nobody puts any pressure on me to drink now socially. Most people know I don't drink now and if they offer me one, I simply say that I don't. Best wishes to anyone who wants or has to stop. You can do it and will feel great mentally and physically too...

• Posted

That's great, John! Some folks can do that and make it stick, quite a few try it again and again and keep on relapsing. About 10% of people with Alcohol Use Disorder can do it the way you did, so job well done and I'm glad it worked for you! 

For the remainder, the craving hounds them until they pick up the bottle again. Medication Assisted Treatment can be a very good option for those folks. 

• Posted

I agree. I went through several attempts to stop, then relapsed. Once I aimed to have 100 alcohol free days in a year, which was successful. BUT, there was always the knowledge that after one or two of those days, I felt entitled to have a drink or three and you can guess the rest. My stopping completely was unplanned, it just happened. If some medication treatment is available, then it should be used if necessary. Best wishes to all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.