bladder

Posted , 10 users are following.

New uro thinks i may have bladder problem insread of prostate.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What is being done to gather data though testing and diagnostics to get from "think" to "Know"?

• Posted

Lew:

What kind of bladder issue does your new uro think you might have?

Vern

• Posted

My Uro said the same thing. I was preparing mentally for REZUM. He told me he wasn't ready to go that route. I'm on a 6 week program of Myrbetriq to calm my bladder. About half way through it. No significant changes yet.

• Posted

My Uro said the same thing. I was preparing mentally for REZUM. He told me he wasn't ready to go that route. I'm on a 6 week program of Myrbetriq to calm my bladder. About half way through it. No significant changes yet.

• Posted

After my TURP I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I can also tell you that Vesicare was much more helpful for my bladder than Myrbetriq was. Good luck.

• Edited

My uro shared the same diagnosis with me. I had a urolift to no avail and had a uro-dynamics done which failed to reveal any conclusion. He now has referred for pelvic floor therapy. So, will keep you posted once I have my first appointment.

• Posted

Hi - I also have been going for pelvic floor therapy but had to stop because I needed a colonoscopy and now I'm schedule for a sigmoidoscopy for follow up.

My PT said these reverse most or all PT progress so I need to restart PT after the sigmoidoscopy. I hope I don't need another one or I'll never know if PT will work.

As your post was 2 years ago, how did the physical therapy work for you and where are you at now with your symptoms and diagnosis?

• Posted

Lew,

There is a big difference between "think" and "know". To know if you have bladder damage, your new urologist should do a cystoscopy to look at your bladder for damage and urodynamics tests to quantify bladder damage. This is very standard procedure before any BPH procedure whether it be Rezum, TURP, etc.

Steve

• Posted

I am considering Rezum but I have some complications -including my bladder - and my doctor is not sure it will help. Have you found something that has helped you?

Here is my story:

I have a medium lobe obstruction of my prostate - Rezum is good for this.

But I also have tight pelvic muscles and for years I was told this was what was causing my inability to empty well. Basically, my pelvic muscles tighten and stop the flow. Never was told it was prostate related.

I have a markedly distended bladder - however even a 1988 test said I had this and an obstruction, yet a bladder diverticulectomy in 2000 improved my symptoms 100% for about 10 yrs. Then I sometimes needed to think of something relaxing to start my stream, but this was not often, and I slept well until 2014 when my new symptoms started.

My doctor told me many patients with prostate blockage of the urethra have no symptoms, so it's possible that it's one or both of my other two issues that are causing my emptying issues. He has done Rezum on patients with tight pelvic muscles and they were not helped. Just 7 mo back I had a Cystoscopy and Urodynamics which caused complications a month later and my symptoms overall are worse then before the procedure.

The tech had problems inserting the catheter and when she did, there was blood all other. Never had this happen before so I'm concerned about repeating this.

This doctor told me I had a medium lobe obstruction and that he would do an electro vaporization of the prostate and when he does it his patients do not have retrograde ejaculation. But the doctor was very rude and so I will not have him do it. When I asked how about my tight pelvic muscles - he replied he thought my body was overcompensating trying to empty and that caused the tight pelvic muscles and once I was able to empty better, the tight pelvic muscle issue would stop.

Other doctors since told me this procedure or green light will still have a moderate risk of retrograde ejaculation. My current doctor said he would avoid the bladder neck so this would not happen, but then the results might not be as good. With Rezum I don't think he needs to avoid it because I think it doesn't touch it.

The recent tests I mentioned above were not done my my current urologist, and before he does any prostate surgery he wants to do a cystoscopy himself to look at my bladder, prostate and more.

So - have any of you here had more than an enlarged prostate blocking your urethra and how did Rezum or other interventions help you?

This is a very scary thing so really would appreciate any insigts. I have been getting very little sleep for years and it's almost to the point it's not worth living.

• Posted

What is your bladder issue called and how does your doctor want to fix it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.