Bladder & Bowel Question

Posted , 12 users are following.

I know this is a delicate problem, and no one has mention it on this site, and it may or may not be related to my PMR. I have very little control over holding my bladder, and eliminating my bowels completely, since I had a very bad reaction to med my RA put me on. I do need to add, that I also have a dropped uterus, but it was not presenting a problem, before the drastic flare and complications, brought on by the allergic reaction to the new med. Since PMR is muscle related, and it seems to be a lack of muscle control; my questions is, has anyone else experience this problem?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How old are you?   A lot of women have bladder control problems as we age.

I do...the dropped uterus is an indicator of possible bladder problems.

Ask doc and buy some pads.....there are surgeries but the couple of friends.

I have that had them had terrible results and problems....I'd think long and

hard before I resorted to that solution.

• Posted

This I know, I've had the dropped uterus for over 5 years now, surgery would make it worse. I was not having a problem until after the alergic complications caused by the new med, so I was curious as to whether others have had this problem, and if it is PMR related.

• Posted

Apart from the pred, What new medication and any other medications you are taking?

Some of us should have bought shares in Tena Lady.

Have you discussed this with your medic.

• Posted

I'm no longer taking that med, but some of the symptoms are still lingering around.

• Posted

Prior to pmr i was diagnosed with a vaginal prolaps and had some problems I was on medication for a while and things were much better. Problems of urinary frequency and urgency. Any time I tried to reduce pred or going thtough a flare the problem came back with a vengeance. Way worse than before PMR. I think the inflamation knows how to target weak spots. I went back to doing the keagle exercises and try to drink additional water. Also try to hold the urges as long as possible. When Im out and about I depend on the pads.

Joanne

• Posted

Ok thanks for your reply. It seems like it is PMR related, and im hopefull it will get inprove in time. I also do the excerises, as surgery would worsen my dropped uterus condition.
  • Posted

Jeanne, PMR does cause muscle weakness and so does preds, (please correct me if I'm wrong about the preds), but definately PMR. Since I've had PMR I have to rush to the loo and I never had trouble before. I'm wondering if a dropped uterus is of no help either as this must be pressing down on something. If you are very concerned please visit your dr but I think many of us have developed this problem since diagniosis of PMR. Regards, tina

• Posted

Ok thanks for your reply. It seems like it could be PMR related, and im hopefull it will inprove in time. Yes I'm on steriods, RA wanted to get me down, so the new med was added. I'm was on 20mg, and I'm just maintaining. I'm tapering at a sloooow pace, went down to 19mg two weeks ago, hoping the pain and discomfort I'm feeling, will settle down in the next couple of weeks.

• Posted

What med did your Rheumy put you on that caused these problems?
    • Posted

Hydroxychloroquine

COMMON BRAND NAME(S): Plaquenil

I had all severe side effect listed. shortness of breath (I'm now on oxygen) pain and stiffness (so bad i couldn't walk & then I had to use a walker for last 2 months) excessive bleeding and extreme fluid retention with swollen legs and ankles .. was only on it 4 weeks but I'm still having problems with fluid and bleeding and breathing and still have stiffness .. RA wanted me off steroids, !!! I'm still on 19th of prednisone and just barely maintaining

. it really did a number on me

• Posted

I've not heard anything good about this drug. You poor thing. Hang in there, you WILL recover from this set back.

• Posted

I am slowly getting better, lost another 3 pounds of fluid yesterday. HOORAY FOR ME !!! My Spring and Summer has really sucked so far; I had a really bad upper respiratory infection in March, than 2 weeks after that the severe allergic reaction. Thanks for the encouragement, that is why this site is so good for us, only someone with PMR can relate to the disappointent of setbacks.
    • Posted

OMG.  I hope you are now mending.  Hugs.  💕
  • Posted

A timely question on a delicated problem. eek? I have developed a new bladder problem !!!!!! - not happy !!!!!!. I suffered it twice about a year ago, then once more a couple of months ago, then twice again this week. I have not met Tena Lady  yet, but suspect that even she would have difficulty coping. On these 5 occasions I had the most urgent desire to pee - comes on instantly. Of course I was out on every occassion. I was soooo detemined that 'the worst' was not going to happen. I stood with every muscle clenched for 10mins or so and shuffled my way eventually to relief. The flow was incredible, like a raging river in flood. Is this normal 'old age' sort of stuff ? I am off on holiday soon and am terrified.

• Posted

That is exactly the way I feel, it hits me all at once and it is coming out before I can get set down on the toilet. I think it is more related to PMR than old age, since it started after my episode with the new med. I'm hoping it isn't permanent, and will settle down soon. I now wear full absorbance pads just to be on the safe side, I also have just ordered my first pack of Tena panties. WE CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONES WITH THIS PROBLEM

• Posted

you know, now I think about it I've had a couple of occassions where I almost wet myself and I hadn't thought I needed to go quite that badly..... hmmm... maybe... And I'm NOT an old lady at only 52!!!!

• Posted

Definitely not a bladder or kidney infection it is lack of muscle control that came on as suddenly as the pain, stiffness, excessive bleeding and extremely swollen legs and ankles along with10lbs of fluid in 1 day.

• Posted

No I havn't, but am going to get it checked this time. There is no pain and after each bout I just return to the 'normal' having to go quickly, but with this new problem I can't even move or the worst would happen.

• Posted

I am having a little anxiety attack here at the thought of it, but I know I need to order some Tenas. Have you asked your Dr about it yet ? I was mortified this time when it happened as I was out with my teenage granchildren.
    • Posted

WE CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONES WITH THIS PROBLEM

Of course not, how do you think Tena Lady makes their money.

• Posted

Check with doc and have urine test.  UTI's are very common and

can be treated with some anti-biotics.   I've had several.

• Posted

I have an appointment today with RA, I will mention it, but he/they (I have a different resident each visit) arnt that well informed. I don't have a lot of convidence in them, they and the RA are learning PMR on the job. I ask questions on this site, and tell him/they what I'm going to do. My advice to you is: Get your heavy pads or panties, and relax a little. "And hope like Hell, that it isn't permanent".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.