Bladder control after prostatectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a radical prostatectomy, how soon after the catheter is removed should you expect some bladder control?  I'm on day 2 and have good control sitting down, but almost no control while standing.  Too soon to expect better?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

dbcriss,

just shy few days for 2 months post my RP and I am still leaking some days more then others with very slight minimal improvement. Saturday on Christmas Eve I had very anoing dry cough and I leaked a lot 400+ ml, I weigh my pull ups and pads after use to know how much I leaked into them.

Most of my days I am on 2 pull ups and 1-2 high absorbency pads.

It is very terrible feeling of not having control of your urination. I can't wait to see some bigger improvement but I hope to see it soon.

So, I see menu of us who responded to this tread are having same problem.

MK

• Posted

Hello MK5,

Are you doing the kegel exercises on a regular basis?  Like 3 sets of 10 several times a day?  Do some quick and fast and some slow and deep.  Every day.

Also, drinking almost exclusively water with a splash of pure lemon or lime juice, or with a shot of pure cranberry juice as my main fluid, and a green tea with a tsp of honey once a day has been working good for me.  

I don't drink any coffee or black tea, nothing carbonated, and not much orange juice or milk, and zero alcohol.  I'm training the bladder to behave and also being kind to it by not sending it difficult loads to carry.   

• Posted

Give yourself time.

I regained control after 4 months.

Most men take anywhere between 2 and 12 months.

• Posted

I agree about the cranberry.

Be careful about drinking grapefruit juice as that can interact negatively with many meds.

As to caffeine, I was told by the physio "no caffeine" because "it affects the bladder" but I love coffee. My urologist said the "no caffeine" school means I would have slighly less damp pads than if I have caffeine and "life is not worth living without some indulgences, so go ahead and have your coffee".

What's the worst that can happen?

I drank coffee daily post RARP. And now even two cups a day, sometimes!

I wore heavy duty pads for 2 months and light pads for 2 months.

I did pelvic floor exercises twice PRE surgery. I didn't care much for yhe

physio. Perhaps the exercises make sense if I were tutored by a better physio.

4 months from surgery, I wear no pads.

• Posted

I might drink some coffee today as I enjoy it, too.  Have you tried the stainless steel percolator pot that sits on the stovetop?  We switched to it as it does not use a paper filter.  We read that the paper filters trapped beneficial oils in the grounds and kept them out of your drink.  We like it.   
    • Posted

I drink all types of coffee: percolator ( stovetop), filter and cafe made cappuccino.

But I limit myself to two cups per day max.

You should drink and eat whatever you like, but in moderation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.