Bladder incontinence surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have a very weak bladder I leak every time I cough sneeze.  Mostly everything and will be having surgery in four weeks to place a mesh sling under my bladder to stop my  incontinencne. Has anyone else had this.    .  Thanks. Polly. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi polly. My mum had this done and she didn't think it made much difference but everyone is different.

• Posted

Polly,I had this done 3 years ago and I have never regretted it.  It only works for stress incontinence ie when you cough ,sneeze etc and not if you have urge incontinence eg   cant get to the toilet on time. 

If you are at all overweight it helps to lose a bit.

Recovery time is important and please do everything you are advised to do.   You may have a little pain at first but that is easily relieved with normal painkillers.

• Posted

HI marina thank you so much for your messages.  I feel so much better. I’ve heard a feel megative things so very pleased.    Do you still do exercises for it.  Thanks.  Polly 
  • Posted

I still do Pelvic floor exercises everyday. As you get older they get slack and as the pelvic floor holds up all your other gynaecological bits as well as your lower digestive tract, it is essential to get into the habit.

Have you had  instruction from a physiotherapist as to the proper way to do them?   Some ladies think they are doing them OK and are quite surprised when they learn the correct way. 

• Posted

Hi yes before I had appointment for surgery they tried me with tablets and physio.   It is quite different from what I thought.  I got into the routine then.  I will keep doing them afterwards.   When was it before you get back to doing everyday things.  Driving shopping etc.   Thanks.  
    • Posted

I was advised 6 weeks before driving,and no heavy lifting.   Dont forget it can invalidate your insurance if you drive before then,have an accident and try to claim.     You should be given a leaflet with that sort of advice after your surgery.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.