Bladder is falling after surgery for cystocele

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was never told not to squat, and so I bent my knees when picking up something from the floor...because I was told not to bend. Do you think that is why my bladder is coming down?  I had a Colpocllesis and MiniAtc Sling  Placement.  The only instruction I was given was not to lift over 5 pounds, no bending, no baths, no pulling or pushing for 3 months.   That was all!  I wonder if bending my knees when picking up items I dropped on the floor was considered squatting...and that's why my bladder fell.  Please someone respond. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When did you have your surgery dorothy?
    • Posted

My surgery was November 19th, 2015.  Had post op visit with surgeon on Nov 25..,all was well.  Next visit was Dec21st, and surgeon said there was a slight bulge, but wouldn' elaborate..said to come back in a month, and exited the room quickly.  On Jan 5th, doc was out of town, and I saw the Physician Assistant for complaint of vaginal pain and I could felel the bladder and see it with a mirror...an egg, coming down.  P.A. Said it was a stage 2, and to see surgeon on Jan 29th.  My appointment is in 6 days, and now the bladder is down to the opening of the vagina, and lower when I stand up.  I don't feel like I am emptying.
    • Posted

Oh dorothy sorry to hear this. Your consultant could have at least explained things more clearly. Someone like a ward sister or matron should have a quiet word in his ear because leaving you for so long to worry isn't acceptable!! Are you having problems actually emptying your bladder?
    • Posted

Yes, Matron......I had 180 cc retention my last visit.  Now I take 3-5 pauses, and the when I go to wash my hands I feel like I have to go again, and more does come out.  Maybe I should be measuring?  It's like before my surgery...extreme urgency, and don't always get to the commode in time.
    • Posted

Second reply to Matron.  I also had hydronephrosis because the urine backed up into the kidneys.  It resolved after the surgery...a cat scan or ultrasound was taken and it showed the hydroureter and hydronephrosis had resolved.  Now with the bladder fallen again, I'm afraid it will reoccur.  I was told if I didn't have the surgery, my kidneys would fail, and 

I would have to go on kidney dialysis.  I did have a stage 4 prolapse, and I fear it is back to a stage3....because it has fallen more since the P.A. told me it was a stage 2 last visit and it has fallen more since.

• Posted

dorothy I think it's important you see your consultant asap and your appointment isn't too far away. You probably do this anyway but write all your questions down because if your bladder has prolapsed again and from what you describe you need to know why and what are the chances of it happening again. Can I ask was your surgeon a Urogynaecologist? 
    • Posted

No, she is only a urologist.  I had a hysterectomy years ago, so I didn't think I needed one....but I did require a PAP test pre op, and the gynecologist I went to said that he could do the surgery for me. In face he asked if my surgeon has done this operation before. She is very young.  I think he was trying to tell me something. I didn't take him up on it because my surgery was already scheduled for the next week.  Now I wish I did!!!
    • Posted

Urogynaecologists have undertaken a lot of extra training to enable them to use that title and they are the experts.
    • Posted

Now I know what I should have done.  If I need more surgery...who do I go to?  Would another doctor take the case?  I wonder?
    • Posted

Yes you could see a different doctor. It's all about patient choice now.
    • Posted

Thank you!  You are very helpful, and I appreciate it
  • Posted

Sorry, I don't know,maybe someone else can elaborate. My doctor told me no squatting, or bending, or lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk the first 3 weeks. Said this was crucial.
    • Posted

It is crucial jean. I would say nothing heavier than a kettle.
  • Posted

Bending at the knees and squatting are different. When you squat you put a great deal of pressure on you pelvic floor
    • Posted

I don't think I put pressure on the pelvic floor...mostly used the strength in my legs to go down, and then raise up.
    • Posted

You don't realise you're using your pelvic floor muscles but ask any physio and she'll tell you that you do. This is the thing with these muscles you just don't realise how much you use them.
    • Posted

Thank you Vicky..that explanation helps me..and I think that I didn't actually squat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.