Bladder Neck Incision Recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a bladder neck incision done about 6 weeks ago for a primary bladder neck obstruction. My main symptoms have been urinary frequency & urgency. So far these symptoms have no lessened but my flow has drastically increase. My surgeon is calling the surgery a success, and luckily i dont have any retrograde ejacualtion. I am just wondering how much longer until i start to feel better. There not a lot of info about PBNO or BNIs online & even less about the recovery process, though I have read that it can take about 6-12 weeks to feel better.

Anyway I am very anxious to start feeling better and am hoping to hear from some people who have had the surgery & can tell me about their recovery. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Cody,

I have had a similar experience after a bipolar TURP done a few months ago. My flow has increased but the frequency/urgency issue remains, although it's a bit better. Also, I am still getting up 6-10x per night. Don't know how long you have had your symptoms but it seems the bladder itself is now an issue. Also, we get into patterns and habits that are hard to break. In my case I am hoping my bladder will calm down over time. Hopefully, this will happen to you. Interesting that your uro performed a BNI rather than a prostate procedure. Normally, a restricted flow and urgency/frequency issues are prostate related. Your uro may next suggest botox injections into the bladder to calm it down.

Tom

• Posted

hi Tom thanks for your comment. My doctor did the BNI because I do not have an enlarged prostate as im only 27 years old.

I had primary bladder neck obstruction, which is similar to BPH symptom wise. Basically the neck of the bladder (where the urethra connects to the bladder) was tight and not openning corretly. This had caused an obstruction & was corrected with an incision.

From what I understand BNI & TURP recovery is fairly similar, so hopefully we will both see more improvement as time goes on.

• Posted

Cody, Were you on a catheter? Was there a lot of pain involved? (You say "I hope I feel better" Are you referring to frequency and urgency?

• Posted

do you mean was i on a catheter before or after surgery? i was not on one before surgery. i had to have one in briefly after surgery.

there was a bit of pain with urination involved with the surgery but it wasnt too bad.

yes, i was referring to the frequency/urgency, which i hope to see improve soon.

• Posted

I've posted this before and and it off topic but just wanted to put this out there again. For over a year I was getting persistant prostititis and even between infections I was getting up atleaat 5 times a night and more. During that time I happended to read an article about BPH and is said that people with BPH should not take anithistimines. I had been taking benedryl for well over a year for sleep prior to my bouts of prostititis. And even before all the prostititis I was getting up at least 4-5 times a night. I have had BPH symptoms for about 10 years. Well I stopped taking the benedryl approx 6 months ago and I have not had prostititis since, I only get up 2- 3 times a night now and my urgency is not as bad as it was. The amout I'm urinating each time has also increased. This is night and day from where I was 8 or 10 months ago. I am 67 so If my symptoms remain as they are I'll stay away from any treatment. I'm crossing my fingers. Hope this will help someone.

• Posted

I've posted this before and and it off topic but just wanted to put this out there again. For over a year I was getting persistant prostititis and even between infections I was getting up atleaat 5 times a night and more. During that time I happended to read an article about BPH and is said that people with BPH should not take anithistimines. I had been taking benedryl for well over a year for sleep prior to my bouts of prostititis. And even before all the prostititis I was getting up at least 4-5 times a night. I have had BPH symptoms for about 10 years. Well I stopped taking the benedryl approx 6 months ago and I have not had prostititis since, I only get up 2- 3 times a night now and my urgency is not as bad as it was. The amout I'm urinating each time has also increased. This is night and day from where I was 8 or 10 months ago. I am 67 so If my symptoms remain as they are I'll stay away from any treatment. I'm crossing my fingers. Hope this will help someone.

• Posted

Hi Cody,

I am 53 and fit not overweight no other health isues. I had BNI 5 weeks ago and Urolift together.

I had 2.5 weeks of what seemed to be improvement in frequency working up to 3 hours between. Then after that one day frequency became worse again, and the last 2 days, going every 1-2 hours or less. Was up 4 times late night. I rang the dr yesterday but only go the nurse saying to do pelvic floor exercise, drink more water and try and delay going to retrain bladder.

The try delay going to toilet can work at home, but I wouldn't try that at work or if I am out as the urge comes on so strong, I sometimes leak a bit before I get to bathroom. Yesterday at 5 weeks was my WORST day, wet myself, twice (in the car alone lucky, with a light pad) didn't make it to work, drove back home.

I have no retro which is great. But the same symptoms as you urinary frequency & urgency. I have had couple of days where i went 4 hours without needing bathroom but both of those times were at home.

Stay in touch re progress, but I am starting to think it might take 3 months. Seeing we are close in recovery time would be good to compare notes

thanks and all the best in your recovery

Nick

• Posted

Cody, how you doing now man? Any updates please?

• Posted

Hi Cody, any new news??

I just had this surgery 2 weeks ago for PBNO, and im still with the main symptoms, including this weird feeling of urinary need sensation.... but no really having the need to go… it hurts some of the time…. pelvic pain, my doctor says.

any change with you?? Have you done something different?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.