Bladder Neck Incision Recovery Timeline?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello, I am reposting this because I didn't hear from many men who have had a bladder neck incision.

I had a bladder neck incision done about 7 weeks ago for a primary bladder neck obstruction. My main symptoms have been urinary frequency & urgency. So far these symptoms have not lessened but my flow has drastically increase. My surgeon is calling the surgery a success, and luckily i dont have any retrograde ejacualtion. I am just wondering how much longer until i start to feel better. There not a lot of info about PBNO or BNIs online & even less about the recovery process, though I have read that it can take about 6-12 weeks to feel better.

Anyway I am very anxious to start feeling better and am hoping to hear from some people who have had the surgery & can tell me about their recovery. My main symptom is a vague sense of urinary urgency (it feels like I kind of have to pee all the time). Thanks in advance!

FYI I do not have an enlarged prostate.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry mate have not had that procedure but wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

I haven't had BNI, but from my experience feeling like you have to pee all the time is caused by UTI's or sometimes if you are unable to empty the bladder, so say you need to pee when you have 300-400 mils inside, you go and pee 50-100 and half an hour later you're back to 300 - If your flow is much better, could be your bladder is just used to going so often so has to be trained - I'm no expert I read somewhere try to wait 5 minutes and keep building up the time intervals - gradually your body will adjust I don't know if the brain does it, or the bladder just gradually reconditions.

Good luck!

• Posted

yeah i have heard that before. definitely dont have a UTI & my bladder is emptying fully. im hoping now that the obstruction is gone & my flow is better ill start feeling better soon.

• Posted

due to obstruction the baldder muscle may hypertrophy and stays overactive even after the obstruction is relieved. It may take some time for it to relax. There are some meds for that. Do you know if you have trabeculations in the bladder when Cysto was done ? Ask your urologist why you still have the symptoms. He hopefully knows you better than the people here.

• Posted

No trabeculations in the bladder thanksfully. I had a follow-up with him this week & he just said that it may take time for the urgency sensation to improve. He said that if my symptoms don't improve soon I should consider trying an interstim device.

• Posted

Cody,

I am experiencing the same sensations after a TURP - flow is good, and I can empty my bladder after several attempts, but the feeling of having pee doesn't quite go away. Seems our bladders are irritated despite being empty - I call this being hyper sensitive. I know that certain foods irritate my bladder, but it's not easy to figure out which ones. Stevia sweetener definitely caused bladder irritation so I had to stop that. Also, some nutritional supplements may be an irritant. Once the bladder gets sensitive we become very attuned to this condition psychologically, so it's difficult to just ignore the urge to pee. I am working on this now - it can take a long time (months) for this situation to improve. It's been four months since my TURP and I can tell that my bladder is feeling less irritated, but the recovery process is certainly much slower than I would like.

Hope your situation resolves, Tom

• Posted

Hey Tom thanks for the nice message. I agree it is just going to take some time for me. My bladder neck was probably very tight for a long time & I need to remember that it will take a long time to recover from that. I am hopeful that I will see improvement over the next weeks/month or two. I hope that you find some relief from your symptoms soon as well - I have read that TURP recovery can take anywhere from 3-6 months to improve your symptoms. Hopefully you're getting close to that timeframe and will feel relief soon.

Best of luck,

Cody

• Posted

Hi Cody,

Well I am just behind you at week 5.5 and the last few days have been horrible. From week 2-3.5 all was great was going every 3.5 hours and then, it started urgency, frequency, it comes on sudden and strong.

At week 5 went down to every hour for half a day and then every 30 mins the next morning.

Spoke to uro who has prescribed OAB meds. I don't have my follow up appointment until week 8 and sometime it feels like I am just stuck here. Reading here and literature seems that 6-12 weeks is not unusual. So I am focusing on pelvic floor (no I didn't do any before op had no idea I should). Holding off initial urge (impossible to do in public) trying to relax (easier said than done). And hopefully these meds kick in. hard to see a light at end of tunnel at moment, one day at a time.

How is your recovery, where are you up to

• Posted

I am at Day 24 after BNI. Flow has again reduced. The burning sensation continues and frequency is sometimes very high but at other time it does hold up for long. All in all beginning to look like the surgery didnt achieve much, atleast as yet. Urologist says bladder is overactive and will take time to adjust. Taking solifenacin 5mg twice on his advice. Though still unable to understand whatever has caused the flowrate to reduce significantly.

• Posted

I'm on Betmiga 25mg a day. same overactive bladder. I'm at day 42 and still not resolved. Had a good day today, even had over 4 hours before needing to go. Then tonight it went 2.5 between and then I had to go within the hour after that which really sucked, did have good flow but sometimes the flow seems weak. Just when I think Ive turned the corner, frequency comes back. I still get mild burning! Uro said another 2 weeks it should resolve I bloody hope so.

Hang in there it all just takes longer than we are first told. You are 3 weeks in, be prepared for good and bad days or good and bad moments on the same day.

• Posted

How is it going? I am at week 8 now and had a terrible day today, going every 1-2 hours again, I am so over this. Seeing URO on weds for first follow up, have a lot of questions and things to tell him. The mild burning has stopped at least, just don't understand why the frequency comes back and the urge incontinence even on meds. Do you find the solifenacin helps? I am on betmiga but apparently it works bette in combination with solifenacin, so I am going to ask for it, really affecting my quality of life at the moment,... hope yours is settling well

• Posted

Burning sensation has completely disappered which is the good part. But i am averaging 10-12 times a day. Have periods when i am going every hour or so and then sometimes every 2-3 hours. Am able to control the urge a bit - so all in all it is a little disappointing and irritating but manageable. Solifenacin hasnt helped. i have another followup due next week. The uro said last visit to be patient and that bladder will settle down in 4-6months. Wish you well

• Posted

finally saw urologist at 8.5 weeks and I had a bad attack going every 30 mins that morning. barely made it, couldnt do flow rest. he seemed surprised I was still have issues with urgency so booked me in for a cystoscopy. he said rare but possible I have an allergy to urolift clips or just overactive bladder or both. booked in for tomorrow and he is doing 100 units of botox in bladder. he thinks not related to bni. weird thing is since then I have had no frequency or strong urge feel almost normal. weird. still want it checked out and he is not charging me a fee medicare covering it.

• Posted

Wish you the best! I am feeling better. So staying positive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.