Bladder numbness after spinal anaesthetic

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there, I am just wondering if anyone else has suffered with bladder numbness following a spinal Anaesthetic. I had my right hip replaced last year and my bladder has been virtually numb ever since. I can't feel when my bladder is full or when I need the ladies. I just get either mild sensations in my urethera (urges that I can easily miss!) Or I get phantom urges that tell me to go to the ladies but when I go, not much happens or, I get urgency feelings. Can't see the bladder numbness ever going back to normal now but I hope I am wrong.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirley. My daughter was given some kind of cortisone injections in her buttocls for low back pain. The doctor who did this hit her nerves - twice. It has been 14 months. She still has back pain, pain shooting down her legs along with her legs having no feeling, her feet fall asleep and she also does not feel the urge to urinate. What did your doctor say? Regarding the no urge to urinate she was told to give it a few weeks. We see a new doctor for this in about 3 weeks. Hope to have more answers then.
    • Posted

Really sorry to hear that Mary. My doc didn't seem that Interested and the surgeon at the hospital said the numbness was unlikely to be anything to do with the op. Sadly I never got chance to speak to the anaesthetist. I have however found a page on Google linking to problems following spinal anaesthetics and I emailed the doctor who wrote about it, so I hope she gets back to me. Fingers crossed your daughter soon gets her urge to urinate back and that you get some answers from your new Doctor in about 3 weeks.

• Posted

Hi 11mary, Just wondering how your daughter is doing now. I hope her back/leg pain has gone and that her numbness has gone too. Here I am, all these months later and my bladder is still numb! Someone said they didnt know what I meant as theirs has always been numb. I said no, I mean I cant tell when my bladder is full or when I need the bathroom. In that respect its numb. I am meant to be having a cystoscopy soon to see if they can find any problems inside my bladder and urethra. Time will tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.