Bladder Problem

Posted , 12 users are following.

Ok. My first urologist suggested TURP to help me with retention. Currently only have natural voids when my bladder is holding 500ML or more, Very little until I get to about 1000ml which I try not to get to often. Urodynamics showed very little and got up to 1100ml. First urologist also said that the prostate was blocking and a little larger than normal. Second doc did an ultrasound and estimated that my prostate is about 25-30, pretty normal. He also recommended TURP. The ultrasound showed a stretched bladder and a TURP would allow the bladder to void. I have been CIC for about 2 months now but am still not sure how I can rehab the bladder. What other tests can I do to find out how bad is the bladder and what to do to rehab it. I'm 53 and in very good health otherwise so I'm looking for what I can do to fix this without surgery. Both Docs said the urolift or Rezum would not work, TURP would be the best solution for me. I'm trying not to drink as much so I don't have to CIC as much but wondering what other damages that is causing.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

When you void do you have a decent flow? Do you have to push hard ? That can be damaging the bladder. Why do they say Rezum or Urolift will not work? I think you should do CIC more often if you want to rehab bladder, see threads here from Jimjames - so don't drink less and CIC more! Also you could damage your kidneys if you don't do something about it. Maybe go for a third opinion - TURP is old school as far as I understand and has more chance of undesirable side effects.

• Posted

If I am closer to 1000 the flow is find, seems like I have no problems. Until I get home and find out I have 1000ml still sitting around. I think they are saying Urolift won't work because it's not a large prostate and I need more of a tunnel to allow the bladder to void.

• Posted

Tom  There is no harm in trying the urolift.  It will open up the prostate and make a tunnel just like the others but no cutting or side effects.  My prostate was the size of a lemon  Been over 3 years for me  Ken
  • Posted

Turp should be a last resort. Look up focal laser ablation. Best way to go with minimal

side effects. Uros do not offer it and wont tell you about it. Look up Dr Karamanian for fla. Also search in here. Many articles and opinions in here.

Jim

• Posted

I did contact the FLA in florida and they asked me to send my results there. My docs are saying that's not going to fix me either because, again, it's the bladder that is stretched. And FLA is more to remove blockages,

• Posted

There telling you that because your taking money away from them.  Ken
  • Posted

Of course the docs would say that as they probably don't do it.  Ask in detail what he knows about them and data/statistics.  I am not a dr.  but I would first have a $500 out of pocket specialized new MRI.  Can't rremember the name but very accurate on cancer risk and prostate size.  I would then do either a FLA with an Interventionist Radiologist who can run a tiny catheter into the prostate from the rectum and go exactly to the blockage spot and spot laser it.  No  ED or RE reported.  Urolift is another good one as is Rezum.  Avoid any uro suggesting a elephant gun right our of the box.  Their in it for for $.  Don't assume bladder is damaged.  It can repair itself given time.  CIC to keep contents low.  500 to 1100 is way too much.  That is stretching the bladder and can harm the tiny nerves which are in a mesh in the bladder way.  Can get stretched way out then you have no urinary sensation and are forced to CIC all the time.  But CIC ing can be positive in getting the bladder healed.  Good luck.  Don't let a doc burn, large laser, cut or in any way butcher you.  If you want further info post in two weeks as I'm headed on vacation.  I will call or email you.

• Posted

Great post David.  Yes I know my stretched-out bladder damaged some of the nerves.  I understand that recovery of the bladder is not certain and can take a long time.  As I recall Jim James said he had to be diligent and tried different methods for over two years before he saw a lot of results.  He was just sure to strive for emptying the bladder before it gets 400 ml including natural void if any.  I'm pretty sure I got my prostatitis from carrying around stale urine not realizing how much there was because I couldn't feel it.   

• Posted

I did ask about and MRI to pinpoint where the blockage is, based on the first doc's opinion, but he second doc does not feel there's blockage that. He stated that an MRI should be done on my back to see if that's the cause of my bladder. I do have a bad back but not to the point where I can't do anything. I'm still playing ball and moving around fine. Back problems have been with me for 30 years and you deal with it when you do too much .

• Posted

Tom  First of all them doctors are trying to make money.  Turp may work but it may not.  Prostate is not that large 25/30 is not bad.  If you don't want to do anything right now keep doing CIC.  Talk with JimJames.  He refused a Turp and he only did CIC.  and he was able to fix his bladder.  If you want to try something.  Urolift is very good.  It will do the same thing that the other procedure will do Make a tunnel.  It will open you up and relieve the pressure off the bladder.  Easy procedure.  You should be able to see some results in a few weeks and no sexual side effects.and at 53 I don't think you want to deal with the problem of a Turp.  Not saying that they don't work but sometimes it takes up to a year to heal and it can destroy the nerves.  Doctors do not think about your sex life.  They do not even consider the male ejaculation a sexual function.  Good luck and be safe.  Don't let the doctors bully you into anything.  Its your body and you are the one that has to deal with the out come of any surgery  Ken         

• Posted

Yes, I  have been reading all the posts that I can, especially JimJames on CIC and his rehab. Not sure if mine is nerve damage or just stretched. And I am not getting any direction from docs. At least not one that I can feel comfortable with.
    • Posted

Tom  You will know when it's right.  Remember not all Doctor are the same.  You just have to weed out  the sale man.  I like my urologist office.  He has no brochure or advertisements of any kind Ken  

• Posted

Not sure why they want to cut up your prostate if it's not enlarged. Your bladder is twice the size mine was when they did urodynamics. Just my opinion but I think if they do prostate surgery of any kind, you will still have a issue. Think you need a second or third opinion. 1100 ml , in my opinion, is alot. A 16 once soda bottle is 500ml.

• Posted

A couple of things not covered. First, prostate size can be misleading. Mine was 30 (exactly normal) and I had an IPSS score in the 30s. I was miserable and lived my life around the bathroom. A scope confirmed that although the overall size was normal, it was growing in and blocking my flow. The only way to know is to be scoped. Second, if there is no blockage, or a minimal one, no procedure on the prostate will help. For sure, you have bladder issues, so even if you also have prostate blockage, fixing that won't make you perfect, in fact it may still leave you needing to self cath - some or all of the time. But if you are blocked, it will help some and make rehabbing you bladder easier.

That said, jimjames had a very overstretched bladder AND BPH and over a couple of years, went from being unable to void to needing to cath only 2 or 3 times/week. His program is a good one (others on this forum have followed in and gotten similar results) and its important that you cath often enough to never let you bladder hold over 400 ml.

• Posted

Hey Tom, are you going to do the TURP? I've been kind of railroaded into doing it. And they've already scheduled for surgery. I want to try alternatives first but my symptoms aren't improving and I'll need some type of solution.

• Posted

Are none of the newer, less invasive procedures available where you are?
    • Posted

John.  That is not right.  You should not be forced to do anything if that is not what you want.  Tell them no.  Just because they scheduled it does not mean you have to have it.  Cancel it before it causes you more problems.  There has to be another doctor you can see for you to have something less evasive.  Try CIC for a few month's to give you time.  Please say no it's your body  Ken  You your self said you are being rail roaded.  If they will not do what you want fine another doctor that will 

• Posted

Not yet, I thought that was my only choice and felt pressure from doc to get in right aeay. My eife was onboard too and she normally does her own research. Maybe that is best for ne but I am going to self cath until I feel confident with a decision. I am very active and self cath isn't always convenient. Its been 2 months now and I am getting comfortable with cic.

Btw, they had scheduled me aswell and i simply called tge scheduler and told them I am not ready yet. I will call them wgen I am. And talked them into giving ne a couple of self cath boxes to sample.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.