Bladder problem - help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am a 25 yo male, I have been experiencing bladder problems since 20. I have always ignored issues in the past but I am really struggling with day to day to day life. I always feel the urge to wee. If I don't drink I can wait a hour or two. If I drink water I need a wee every half hour- 1 hour at a push. If I drink alcohol or coffee I need a wee every 20 minutes. I have important meetings and as I am getting older I have more responsibilities but I feel like I can't deal with these with this issue. 

At its worst I have had to run out of rooms because I could wee myself.

Is there any medication which helps. I am planning on seeing my own doctor soon but just looking for online help first 

Kind regards ad 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adriano! Sorry to hear about your troubles-it's very similar to how I felt about a year ago. I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis but this might not be your issue. In the meantime, follow a low acid, caffeine and alcohol free diet as they can all irritate the bladder. There are examples online, just search for IC Diet. Even if you don't have IC this diet will help calm your irritated bladder. There are OTC meds designed to relieve urgency, frequency and pain and you'll most likely find them in the women's urinary/menstrual health section. AZO is my go-to and don't be alarmed at the color of your urine after taking it (bright red, orange then bright yellow). It doesn't make sense right now but you should drink at least 64 oz a day and aim for mostly water. Diluting your urine will make it less irritating to the bladder wall. Don't chug, slowly sip throughout the day and don't drink much within the last few hours before bed. Also, 1/2-1 tsp of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water can reduce the acidity of your urine and calm your bladder but don't do this more than once a day-it has a lot of sodium. You might have a prostate issue, recurrent or chronic uti or it may be a pelvic muscle disorder ( if it's this see a pelvic physical therapist STAT-they can work wonders). Whatever it is, I wish you the best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the info! I will read into this diet and see if has an effect on me. I will struggle staying clear from the coffee! However if I see it makes a difference I will definitely pack that in.

AZO medication, is it ok for men to take the same as a women or is there a different medication I could try.

Appreciate all the info you have gave me thank you very much. 

Kind regards

Adriano 

• Posted

Hi Adriano!

I just double-checked on AZO's website and it's safe for both men and women. The active ingredient is phenazopyridine hcl, which is a bladder analgesic, and it's hormone free. It's marketed to women because we generally suffer from urinary issues more often than men but anyone can take it. There are other brands of this drug if you can't find AZO specifically. It's also available by prescription (pyridium) but that's only 2.5-5 mg stronger than the OTC versions and I personally didn't feel a difference.

• Posted

adriano76791,

I am not a doctor so this is not medical advice.  it is based on my personal experience and something to discuss with your dr.

I went through years of symptoms; urgency, frequent urination, pain on sitting, burning, etc.  I was treated with every antibiotic that existed to no avail.  finally I found Dr. Moldwin and was treated for pelvic dysfunction.  the dr confirmed that there wasn't an infection and I was there wasn't urine retention.  he gave me a low dose of valium to take during the day and prescribed pelvic rehab.  the rehab was awkward but the most effective.  besides external pelvic massage the most effective was internal trigger point pressure using her finger.

good luck,

jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.