Bladder problem not being treated

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all, looking for some advice.

i have had bladder problems for 6 years (recurrent uti symptoms) and recently had a cystoscopy. after it, i was told i had a small cyst and chronic inflammation but my discharge letter also mentioned that the cyst was a possible ureterocele. i received my biopsy results today and they were reported to be normal and i was told i didn't have inflammation. i asked about the ureterocele but she said that it wouldn't be causing my issues however i spoke to a gp last week who confirmed that they can in fact cause recurrent utis. i have an appointment to speak to the urologist but am concerned that they won't remove it - obviously i'm not a doctor but i think if there's any chance that this cyst/ureterocele could be causing my problems then it needs removing. i feel so frustrated because i have been suffering since i was 17, both physically and mentally, and feel like i'm being fobbed off. i just want to know what steps i can take if the urology team refuse to treat the potential underlying issue.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As you say, you are not a doctor so cant tell them to remove something if the urologist feels it is not necessary. Talk to your GP and if he/she feels that removal would help your symptoms they can then contact the urologist with the reasons why they think this surgery may help you.Recurrent UTIs are so common with many women and often the cause is not clear.

• Posted

that's very true but it is me who ultimately suffers and has poor mental health because of it, if there is even the slightest chance that it will improve my quality of like then i will take it. i will contact my gp and hopefully they can help. thanks for your advice!

• Posted

Elly, when you have your appointment, say that you were told about the ureterocele and that your doctor thought it may be the cause of the UTIs. Make sure you say how long you have been suffering and what sort of impact on your life this has had. If you can think of any other points that you think would be helpful then make a short list...and refer to it during the consultation.If the consultant does not want to do this for you then ask the reasons why. He/she may want to try other treatment so listen carefully.

Try not to get emotional.

• Posted

thank you for that advice, i will do just that. ☺ they said the appointment will be in may (more waiting!) but hopefully it will have a good outcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.