Bladder problems causing sleep deprivation

Posted , 4 users are following.

So originally I contracted prostatitis a couple of years ago and starting having urinary problems because of it, especially at night, not being able to get to sleep at all until 4/5/6am until i was too tired that i would fall asleep uncontrollably, i was on a prescription for 6-8 weeks and my prostate inflammation finally subdued, however the urinary problems remained, fast forward two years and countless medications i am writing this post after another sleepless night of constantly needing the toilet and only squeezing a dribble out each trip every half hour or so, it's the urge to urinate that keeps me awake and it just doesn't go away I'm currently on mirabegron which isn't helping 4 weeks into the prescription(have another 4 weeks of it but not getting my hopes up) and i recently bought a natural supplement off of amazon which is supposed to help with bladder control but it doesn't seem to be working either

If anyone has heard of anything similar to this or can think of anything that might help me get some sleep please please please tell me, the constant sleep deprivation i have is killing me slowly and i'm still at university not being able to go to my lectures as most nights im falling asleep around 7-8am nowadays which has made the last two years a massive struggle so please if anyone has advice let me know

thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If your bladder is full but you are not able to empty it, it might be worth asking your doctor if you could try using intermittent catheters. These are very easy to slide in, empty your bladder and slide out again, and then you should be able to sleep until it fills up again.

• Posted

nah ive had a cytoscopy and another bladder procedure when my bladder was filled just to be emptied and there was nothing wrong within the storage of my bladder, but soon as my bladder was emptied on that day i felt the massive urge to urinate straight after

• Posted

On the day of your procedures your bladder may have been irritated a bit, so that is not typical.

If you are not getting more than a dribble at a time, are you ever able to empty your bladder properly? How? The storage may be fine but apparently not the emptying; your bladder muscle (the detrusor) may not be squeezing the urine out as it should, or there may be a blockage in the urethra. As long as a blockage doesn't prevent you from sliding a catheter in, that would ensure complete emptying. Ask your doctor whether that would be worth trying.

On the other hand perhaps the urge to urinate comes not because your bladder is full but because there is some irritation or infection causing the nerves to send you the wrong signal.

• Posted

well my theory is that the enlarged prostate i did have left a long lasting damaging effect on my urethra yet for some reason the doctors have just kept giving me prescription after prescription without trying much else(and obviously because of the state of the nhs ive only seen my urologist 3 times in 18months

but if a catheter can help that then i'll definitely ask my gp thank you!

and its mainly at night when i have the constant urge to urinate with little coming out usually during the day im able to distract myself so i can ignore it because if i do start urinating i get the same feeling of emptying then still needing to go

its like needing the biggest wee of my life but only squeezing out a dribble

• Posted

Hi -

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just someone who has been using catheters without problems for many years. I never go without one . . .

If you are not regularly emptying your bladder fully, my understanding is that as well as the discomfort it can cause problems such as:

• Stretching the bladder muscle will cause it to lose its strength and the ability to contract to expel urine
      • If there is stale urine left in your bladder, it can harbour infections
      • If your bladder becomes too full, the urine can back up to your kidneys, possibly causing damage there.

If you find that using a catheter helps, you should be able to get a supply on the NHS. It may be possible to buy them privately from a pharmacist. I get mine from Coloplast and they also offer free samples, though they say "This is an invasive product and you must be assessed by a healthcare professional before using." Their web site has a lot of useful information.

A couple of tips on catheter use:

• If you hold the catheter dangling by the plastic nozzle on the end, you can insert it without touching the tube that goes inside you, thus keeping it clean
      • As you slide it in, you will feel a little resistance as it passes the sphincter muscle and the prostate. Don't force it, but just press it in gently, while relaxing your muscles as you would when urinating normally - it should slide in easily in a few moments.

Good luck - I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

• Posted

Sounds tough dude... I also regularly suffer from nocturia. Last couple days I couldn't sleep more than 90 minutes without waking up, seemingly needing to pee. However, hardly any urine seems to come out. It's like my bladder is super sensitive at night, since my daytime voids are completely normal and not too frequent.

Do you have the same problems during the day?

• Posted

I had a cystoscopy and the doctor said I have bladder problem and put me on mirabegon which is not working. Are there any procedures besides drugs to help me,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.