Bladder prolapse... gynaecologist said surgery wouldn't last

Posted , 7 users are following.

I live in Spain.  The gynaecologist said she thought I shouldn't have an operation for a recent bladder prolapse.  As there is no womb she said the bladder would fall down again and it would mean I would need an op. every 2 to 3 years, not good for my body. She has prescribed an oestrogen cream to be used for 2 months (to tighten the vagina so the bladder is not bulging out so much) then another vaginal cream (without oestrogen) to be used for the next 2 months.  This will cost me 40 every 4 weeks.  I would have to apply the creams for life. What success have others had with surgery (did they have to have it done again?) and what success using the creams?  What about intercourse ?  I can't imagine that being possible with a bladder prolapse?  Thanks for your replies.  

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I'd get a 2 no opinion. In April this year I had a complete hysterectomy,A& P repair and a tvt (bladder sling) I was never told about that it wouldn't last. I was told if I was careful what I done lifting wise it should continue to be a success. My sling was attached to my pubic bone so it wouldn't drop so don't know why she'd say it wouldn't stay in place. Also my repairs were re-attached to a major ligament to keep it all up and in place. There are proper procedure names but I can't remember off top of head but I can find them out for you if you need them to ask about. Just let me know. Hope you get some answers. Good luck. X

• Posted

Hello Fi - that's all very interesting and helpful.  It's the first time I have heard about a bladder sling so I wonder if anyone else reading this has had one.  So after 6 months do you feel everything is back to normal?  What about lifting things, is that something you can do now?  Thanks, Tricia 

• Posted

No heavy lifting as it can just undo what's been done. I was also told no running but some people have been told it's ok. But I've never been a runner so I suppose if you e been a runner maybe it's ok. Different people have had different advise. There doesn't seem to be definite advice. Just hearing other woman's experiences seem to be best advice. The bladde sling is called a tvt -tension free vagina tape. Look it up. It's mainly used when you suffer leakages. I can now cough sneeze laugh and ever jump up and down without peeing myself. Which is great in itself. Is that a symptom that you suffer?

• Posted

Hi I've a small vaginal vault prolapse but my consultant left it as she said lots of women complain of buttock/back pain, she did tug on the vault after the a & P repair and said it should be fine, so do you get pain in said area x

• Posted

Also i would recommend seeing a urogynecogist instead of a regular gyn. They specialize in pelvic floor conditions
  • Posted

I had a bladder prolapse repair 7mths ago but within 5/6 weeks it had fallen back down, sex is a bit uncomfortable now as my husband can feel the prolapse but says he has learnt to gently move it ,we have had to make light of the situation, im in the process of having physio to try to strengthen the vagina but my Dr told me it takes months, I've heard of women having their bladders taped but not sure I would want any more surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.