Bladder prolapse with deep ache inside

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hallo!      I have a bladder prolapse.  An operation has been booked for 11th April here in South Africa.  We reside between SA and Northamptonshire in UK.   Gynae does the mesh procedure.    Apparently I do not need a hysterectomy nor  bowel procedure.               If I wait til we return to UK how long would the waiting period be I wonder?         What bothers me is that from time to time I have deep aching inside the vaginal area towards my backside much like a deep period pain which makes me so miserable and depressed.   Two doctors have told me that a prolapse should not cause aching nor pain so what else might it be?

I am 69 years of age and have had this prolapse for a few years, with constant uti's so it's probably time for an op! 

Has anyone else had aching with their prolapse or any sort of pain or spasms?     

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Carole

The pain and discomfort you feel - is it after you have been on your feet all day, or after walking? This 'dragging' feeling is a common prolapse symptom I'm afraid. The UTIs could be as a result of your bladder not emptying properly, thry double voiding (sit and wee, stand and do a hoola hoop exercise over the loo, then sit again) Residual urine in the bladder causes repeat infections I'm afraid. Do not restrict fluid intake thinking you'll go to the loo less, it makes your urine strong and concentrated another danger area for infection and irritation.

Have you tried a pessary? A pessary can help to add bulk to the vagina, and keep the prolapsed organs in a more comofrtable position. Try to avoid a hysterectomy if you are healtyh and it is possible to do so, as this could expose you to further prolpase (1/3 or all hysterectomies prolpase). 

I cannot advise on current waiting times in the UK i'm afraid, but do al you can to take the pressure off the prolapse in the meantime, pelvic floor exercise, watch your weight, and improve your posture (bum at the back of the chair, stand up straight) these samll improvements together can make a big difference and helps us to see that our pelvic floor does not woork in iscolation - it is a whole body thing.

Good luck, keep strong.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.    I have had a pessary which, after a few weeks began to irritate and cause discomfort so out it came.   I do drink lots of water as well.   The uti's have slowed down a lot recently.      I can handle the discomfort of the prolapse.........but it is now and again that these period like pains come and they appear deep into the vagina as well as around the outside (perineal).    The ache comes out of the blue much like spasms of period pain and not when I have been walking or standing too long.   This ache is what troubles me the most as I become anxious especially as my gynae said he cannot relate this to a prolapse.    My lower back aches as well when this happens. 
  • Posted

Hello carole. A lot of ladies I've nursed over the years have complained of aching and sometimes pain so you aren't alone there. You said you don't need a hysterectomy but have tests, scans and examinations confirmed this? Sometimes it's found that there is a problem with the uterus, a fibroid for instance which would give you the pain you describe.

Regarding your question about waiting times. Once you've seen your GP and he/she agrees to refer you and you're seen at an outpatient clinic you should only wait up to 18 weeks but the NHS as it is, busy, understaffed and in some departments underfunded it can take longer. You are more likely to be admitted within the 18 weeks in the summer and autumn months when there aren't the inevitable winter pressures. There are ways to cut the timescale and that's to fund your first outpatient appointment and then have the operation on the NHS. That would save a lot of time. 

Make sure you are referred to a Urogynaecologist as opposed to a gynaecologist. They are the experts.

• Posted

Dear Matron.......phew!!  Thankyou so very much for the reply on the aching and pain......this has worried me so much.     I was seen by a gynae who was recommended by my GP .....he is not a youngster and does work with a partner during operations.     However he is not a urogynae.        He did a full and extensive examination ....the gentlest I have ever known so far I have to say.....and he did a sonar from inside the vagina.   He showed me my uterus and said there were no abnormalities and that it was 'nice and small'.     I had a full blood count and a Pap smear, breast exam, and thyroid.      I have been taking Movicol for a number of days too which has helped bowel movements.   His conclusion with a drawing was that the bowel had not prolapsed and 

the uterus had come down just a little bit, but the bladder was the problem.      He did add that there were no guarantees until under anesthetic that there were no other problems, but he said that certainly from his exam and sonar that no hysterectomy would be required nor bowel repair.      He did say that in the past a hysterectomy plus bladder/posterior repair was done which invariably lead to further prolapse over the years.  He would do the mesh procedure which he said was successful and hopefully would last a lifetime.     I know little of the mesh method except that there is some controversy.       Is this method used in the UK?  

Thank you so much for your help.   I feel better knowing I am not alone with these aches when they come. 

• Posted

Hello again carole. Your gynaecologist probably works alongside a urologist which is absolutely fine. I think some of the older gynaecologists probably find that much easier than undertaking further training. 

Mesh is used in England but it is carefully monitored and constantly  evaluated and should only be used by consultants that have undergone extra training. In the USA there were problems and there have been women suing right left and centre because they claimed it left them with life long problems. However this was looked into very carefully here and it was discovered that these operations were performed mostly by consultants not specifically trained. That is why no surgeon here cannot use the mesh unless he/she is registered to do so. 

There's also a new procedure being undertaken in the UK where the prolapsed bladder is repaired under local anaesthetic, home the same day and you can drive after 3 weeks. My friend is a research nurse for urogynaecology and she has told me how popular it is and extremely successful. My neighbour recently had this procedure and she is amazing. No pain and driving and doing normal daily activities within the 3 weeks. So that may also be an option carole. Let me know if I can help with anymore information.

• Posted

Yes, had terrible pain with prolapse which got worse as degree of prolapse got worse. Got to stage 3 and had to give up work , could barely walk without pain making me very sick. If I attempted going shopping I would come back and have to sit upside down to relieve the pain.
  • Posted

Hallo Matron once again, the procedure with local anesthetic sounds amazing!   I am wondering what the cost might be to go private, or would the NHS consider this in Northamptonshire?    

• Posted

Hello carole. You would have to find out if any Urogynaecologists were performing the new procedure in your particular area. A GP who makes the referral would know or you could contact one of the private hospitals directly.
  • Posted

Hallo Phyllis ...... so sorry to hear of your pain, but I am thankful that I am not alone because I was becoming almost hysterical not knowing what the problem was.     Did you undergo surgery and if so, are you okay now?
    • Posted

Yes eventually , 9 months after first going to GP, tried pessary for while ,1st one kept coming out, 2nd one I was able to fit myself but my work involved heavy weight bearing and prolapse got so bad.

That was over 3 years ago , had hysterectomy and anterior repair, was told they didn't realize it was so bad! Recovery took 6 months ! Changed my job to one less demanding. Unfortunately my prolapse has recurred and had to be redone 2/3 weeks ago this time anterior and posterior repair, hoping recovery much quicker this time as the prolapse not so bad and waiting time for op only 8 weeks this time. Every shift I was doing was becoming more painful , and you have no life trying to recover between shifts. so glad they have been very quick this time, surgery makes such a difference, and you get your life back .

Hope things work out for you soon, look after yourself and try to minimizer any more damage! Phyllis xx

• Posted

Thankyou Matron for all your help and advice. 😊
  • Posted

Phyllis, thank you so much for your encouragement and for sharing.   I am confident all will be well for you, and wish you everything of the best.   The only reason I am hesitating about this op of mine is because we were due back in UK Saturday but I have been given the 11th April to have it done here in SA.   We are staying with our daughter and family and although she doesn't mind, we obviously feel it better to be in our own home in the UK.  However when this pain and ache comes, I feel I cannot wait for months to have it seen to.   I have no idea how much it would cost to go private in England and then it's the starting all over again with examinations and scans etc.........groan. 😊          

Thankyou you once again.     Keep well !

• Posted

Hi Carole,

I have very similar and it's extremely uncomfortable. The GP has put it down to existing bowel and bladder issues that need surgery. I've been waiting over a year. Prolapse happened last week and new symptoms since but they tell me it's not related. Seeing gynae in May as also need a hysterectomy. The pain is very real no matter what the doctors say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.