Bladder Spasms from a Foley catheter

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience with treatment for bladder spams from a Foley catheter? Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I read from a previous post that oxybutin helped him. BTW, are you no longer self cathing ? Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank

I still CIC and use your Cure Ultra M14C but I had another bleeding episode a few days ago and my uro wants me to go on a Foley for a week to allow the prostate wound to heal. I have never had one and really fear it for discomfort and bladder spasms and possible infections etc.

I was scheduled for a robotic SP last Fall but it was delayed to this summer due to covid.

How are you doing? Howard

• Posted

I am doing fine. Just couple of weeks ago I also had some bleeding. I think it was because I had too many blueberries during that time. Blueberries thin your blood so they caused bleeding. My solution was to go to smaller size catheters and taking some vitamin K to thicken the blood for a few days. The problem is gone now.

I currently use both Cure and Gentlecath, which is a little firmer than Cure. I use the cheap dry ones with my own water based lube.

I am also looking into HoLEP. I found a local urologist in my insurance group that does it. All I need to make sure that she has done enough procedures. Hank

• Posted

I always remember your suggestion when doing CIC: "one mm at a time". It keeps my mind from wandering and going too fast. I eat a lot of raw broccoli to help with the blood clotting as it is rich in K. I am trying to keep from doing CIC for a few days to let the little wound heal. So I have been taking 20 mg prednisone which gives me almost normal pee flow since it dramatically reduces the inflammation component of BPH ( I do not have a median lobe or other obstructions). This has worked in the past but I know prednisone is not a good drug. Still if it works it is better than a Foley.

Do you think the bleeding would still stop even if I keep removing the wound scab every day to start the bleeding all over? It is fresh red blood that fills the catheter when I withdraw it.

The Cure Ultra's have a nice sliding plastic sleeve that allows the lower part of the catheter to be guided in slowly. Thanks. Howard

• Posted

You probably don't need the Foley the way you are handling it, giving your urethra a chance to heal. Depending on how bad the injury is, it may not heal if you keep on disturbing it several times a day. My bleeding is usually not bad, just some blood at the tip of the catheter. It usually goes away very quickly, if I go down in size.

I don't like Cure Ultra because the gel is too thick therefore not as slick, and irritated my urethra. Take care! Hank

• Posted

How many of the prednisone pills do you take a day? Have you tried ibuprofen? It helps my flow a lot. Hank

• Posted

I found that the Cure Ultras stick often and that may have been my bleeding problem. I will phone Gentlecath today and get some samples of the ones you use. My bleeding is much worse than a little in the catheter tip. The urine flow is clear but then when I withdraw the catheter it is filled with fresh red blood and then the blood drips from the penis for a few minutes and stops. I canot go down in size to a 12 fr because it wouldn't penetrate the prostate.

I've taken 20 mg prednisone twice now over 2 days and it opens up the prostate great so I can empty. But I've used up my supply. I haven't CIC for 2 days so maybe another day and I'll try again - 1mm at a time. Thanks Hank.

• Posted

How quickly are you pulling the catheter out? I suspect that maybe some prostate tissue is caught in the eyelets of the catheter on the way out and If you pull it out too fast you may rip it open. I usually pull it out slowly until it clears the prostate area.

A forewarn on Gentlecath catheters. They are stiffer than Cure so risk of bleeding is higher, though not as bad as Coloplast because they are not as stiff. I only use size 10 and 12 Gentlecath. Bleeding appears occasionally when I went to 14. While with Cure I can go up as high as 18.

You might want to try straight instead of coude. I found straight catheter more comfortable.

You also might want to try Coloplast Coude Pro Flex. They are another I like. I am always open to trying out new ideas. It's one great thing I learned from Jim James, and it's not CIC. 😊 Hank

• Posted

Ever since the bleed I had last June I follow your advice about "one mm at a time" both going in and coming out. It takes me much longer but I have had no problems since then until now. What happened was that I felt like my bladder was full 4 days ago but in fact it was irritation. When the catheter entered the bladder I only had 150 cc and I felt a strong clamp down onto the catheter which happens when I would CIC with a nearly empty bladder. It was very painful and after that the bleeding started.

So I tried just pushing the catheter after that just to the start of the prostate to try and initiate some urine flow rather than push it all the way into the bladder. That worked a few times but still with bleeding.

So now I am 3 days since I did a CIC and the prednisone has again worked its magic. ( I took 20 mg a day for 3 days). I pee like a race horse and hope the prednisone will continue working for a few more days as that is all I can take at one time.

I did try the coloplast coude pro flex once but found it difficult to manage. You are correct about the Cure ultras - they must use glue for their lubricant. I do have some regular ones but they are too soft (14fr). I should get my Gentlecath samples by Friday. They are the dry coudes and I have lots of water soluble gel. Because of my huge prostate (300 cc) I must use coudes or else I harpoon the poor thing. Thanks Hank - sure appreciate your help. I do NOT want to put in a Foley. Howard

• Posted

Howard,

I started taking 2 grams/day of Turmeric capsules 8 months ago. My PSA was measured just before at 7.55. After 3 months of Turmeric, the PSA dropped to 5.5. I don't know if the Turmeric caused the drop but it is the only thing I was doing different. It may have indicated inflammation in my prostate that the Turmeric helped reduce.

I will go for another PSA test in late February 2021, so will know more then, since I have continued the dose of Turmeric.

Thomas

• Posted

Hi Thomas - I also take Turmeric (curcumin) capsules each day too. I take 1 gm. My PSA also dropped over the past year from about 15 to 11 - maybe for the reason you say. My PSA is high because of my large prostate. It has fluctuated between 8 and 20 over the 15 years now. Maybe I will increase the dose to 2 gm a day ( 4 pills ). Good luck and thanks. Howard

• Posted

Be aware that some foods are strong blood thinners, like garlic and turmeric. That may explain why you bled more than me. It's one reason that I am looking into HoLEP, so I don't have to worry about bleeding causing foods.

Also, I found out that forcing a catheter into your bladder while it's near empty increases chances of bleeding.

I think you'll be fine. Hank

• Posted

I've read in some places that turmeric acts as an anti-coagulant and then I've read in other places that it acts as a coagulant. Anyway, since this latest episode I stopped all supplements.

I wish i could just stay on prednisone forever - I am peeing like a racehorse now so maybe I can go a few more days w/o CIC and let the wound heal.

Why did you settle on Holep over other procedures like Green Light or PAE?

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.