bladder ultrasound shows retention

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just gone for a private self-referred bladder and kidney scan. Kidneys and ureters are fine, no issues like scarring, cysts etc. However, when they scanned bladder when full it was showing maximum capacity of 307cm3, after I went to the loo and was rescanned I still had 129cm3 in there! I think it was because I drank such a large volume of water to prepare for the scan. For the past week I have had no real urgency to urinate and go on average of 9-10 times in a 16 hour day. I don't have trouble voiding. I am seeing a urologist tonight but just wanted to ask if anyone has had similar issues to this and what the next step will likely be. I don't want the invasive urodynamics test. As I said, if this was a true problem surely I would have it every day? I was also scheduled for a cystoscopy to investigate microscopic hematuria detected by dipstick on two occasions. However, when I read the lab report that came back it is classed as normal and no RBC. Surely the lab report should be more accurate than dipstick testing. This was the reason why I am seeing urologist tonight. I do not want to go through cystoscopy if it is not absolutely necessary.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

if you did not have trouble voiding, not sure why you opted for a private bladder and kidney scan ? 

Microscopic hematuria indicates some neohropathy. You can wait to see how your kidneys functions ... also take creatinine and BUN lab tests for kidneys.

• Posted

I was hoping it would show the bladder lining clearly enough to avoid a cystoscopy. Also size and condition of my kidneys as bleeding could be coming from there. They were able to tell me my bladder lining was not thickened and that my kidneys are normal appearance, size, cyst free etc so it did reassure me to a certain extent. I have now been to the urologist who says my kidney function blood test is normal and that the urine results do not rule out microscopic hematuria just because they are negative for red blood cells. I am having the cystoscopy with him next Monday under sedation. Hopefully I will have a good outcome. He says I do not need CT scan as the blood is not visible, just microscopic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.