Bladder urgency or wetting linked to bowel movements

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have seen this topic touched on, or similar things, mentioned when I've looked it up elsewhere but never quite what I experience. I wonder if anyone else finds the same thing as I do.

Passing urine is presumably linked to opening our bowels as when we go to the toilet for 'number 2' we normally empty our bladder at the same time.

If I'm having to 'hold on' when I badly need to go number 2, or sometimes just before I feel the need to go, I sometimes wet (not everything but substantial) with no warning even if I didn't feel I had a full bladder.

But more weirdly, after I've been to the toilet and emptied my bowels and bladder, and tried to be sure I've emptied my bladder well, more often than not a very short time afterwards I will either wet with no warning, or feel a very urgent need to pee which frequently is so urgent that I wet before I can get to a toilet. It can happen just a couple of minutes after I've emptied my bowels or it can be up to about 20 minutes later. It can be just a very little or it can be a lot although it's always extremely urgent.

Does this happen to anyone else?

It has happened for a long time. I can remember it happening fairly often when I was a teenager before the rest of my bladder incontinence had started, although I was a bit more able to control the urge then though only partially and with great difficulty. It would be a question of literally crossing my legs tight and holding still til I could rush back to the toilet and usually by the time I'd got there I was damp. I started carring spare pants and sanitary towels to college with me because of it. Then shortly after the regular leaking started.

I am not bowel incontinent though as a child until a late age I did have trouble holding on to full bowels. I'm not sure if or how that's connected.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ginny. It sounds as though your bladder isn't completely emptying. There are a few reasons why that may be the case. See your doctor and ask for a referral to a Urogynaecologist. He/she will probably do some tests and you may need your bladder dilating. Don't worry it's not as bad as it sounds.
    • Posted

Thank you for commenting. I hadn't thought of that. When I had urodynamics done a few years ago they said my bladder was emptying fully. Is it possible that for some reason it doesn't empty fully only after I have openned my bowels? I did worry if it could be a sign of prolapse but I've had an examination and two scans and I don't have prolapse. I'll ask about it when I get referred. I was previously referred to a urogynae doctor and had tests etc and was prescribed oxybutinin which helps a bit although since my problems with endometriosis are worse the incontinence is now worse too again.

I think I am being referred again but I'm not sure if it'll be to urogynae - it'll be an endometriosis clinic so not sure exactly what the doctor would be. I see my GP again about this next week so will find out more.

Hmm bladder dilating... is it painful?! But if it works. ...then it's an option....

I'm sorry I tried to comment on your reply to my post about endometriosis and incontinence but for some reason my comment was sent for moderation and doesn't seem to have been approved yet.

Ginny xx

• Posted

Ginny if a post gets removed send me a personal message. Sometimes it's just one word that can alert the moderator. 

Bladder dilatation is performed under a general anaesthetic. Patients are a bit sore afterwards and it can leave you with a feeling you need to pass urine all the time but it wears off quickly. 

You said you'd had tests performed a few years ago. A lot can happen in that time so you may need the tests performed again. In that time you definitely could have developed a prolapse which could account for you not completely emptying your bladder. The muscles in the bladder weaken but you also mention endometriosis so if that has spread to other organs again it could cause problems. See your GP and make sure you are referred to the most appropriate consultant.

• Posted

I'm sorry for being really slow to reply to your very helpful comment. I did have worries about prolapse but on examining me the gp did not think I do. However good news is that I had an ultrasound today and have finally been referred to the endometriosis clinic. I've been told before that the endometriosis has probably grown over my bladder causing the worsened incontinence. Thank you for your support.
  • Posted

This happens to me often. I have just accepted it as part of my incontinence problems ascosiated with my diabetes.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear you also struggle with this however it kind of helps in a way to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for commenting.

And it must be much harder for you also dealing with diabetes. In a way it sounds like you've been able to accept some elements of it which though tough perhaps helps get through it?

I don't want to ask a too intrusive question but does diabetes cause incontinence because of nerve damage or is it because of another reason eg that when you have diabetes you need to pass a lot more urine or can't hold it when your blood sugars are affected?

The reason I ask is that I also have some nerve problems which cause pain and inflammation and altered sensation in areas (being further investigated) and I wondered if there could be a link with nerve problems and this particular bladder incontinence apparently associated with the bowels. I know nerve damage does cause bladder problems more widely.

• Posted

After various tests by my urologist and his team the diagnosis was diabetic related nerve damage. Which causes lack of sensation in that area which means I don't always feel the need to urinate until it is too late. Also the muscles don't get the signals properly to control my bladder. This is not a curable problem. Vesicare helps a little but not at night when I have no control over my bladder and have to wear protection to keep the bed dry.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear it is not something that can be cured for you. It sounds as if you've been able to come to a point of accepting it which is a very strong thing to do.
  • Posted

Hi Ginny,this is quite a common problem. I would talk to your GP to run some tests just to rule out anything ontoward.

They can also prescibe tablets which do help the problem.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Angela. I do have tablets for the urgency (oxybutinin) and they help a bit. I've also tried exercises. As you'll see from my reply to Matron above I did get referred previously and they didn't pick up anything medically really serious then which is good. But I will make sure to mention it all at the clinic I get referred to. In case anything's changed or it is a problem of not emptying fully. ..

Thank you for your support x

• Posted

Sometime it happens to me to have urgency to pee just 20 minutes after I've been to the toilet for n.2. I noticed if I have full bowels the ability to hold pee decreases, that I think it's normal cause full bowels push on the bladder. But sometime it happens to me too to have urgency to pee just 20 minutes after I've been to the toilet for n.2. Even multiple times every half an hour and the same happens after I "hold" pee for long time. In the last years I've a bad urgency for n.2 when I get up in the morning so I think there is some change in my body (maybe light ibs?) but physicians found nothing wrong on this side.

Anyway full bowels upset me cause it makes my incontinence considerably worse, big problem when you are out home.

I would like everything easier!

• Posted

I can empathise Mary. I'm so sorry you are struggling with this too. I definitely have very similar symptoms to you. I hadn't thought of it before but I think as you say, if I have to hold on for a long time before I can go pee, I may have to go again quite soon afterwards. Today I had a scan at the hospital and had to have a full bladder for it so had to hold on to the point it was very uncomfortable. The rest of the day over the next few hours I had to go to the toilet more often and more urgently than usual resulting in several accidents.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.