Bland Diet For Gastritis and Reflux?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have Mild Reflux and Chronic Gastritis, my symptoms are heaviness/pain behind chest-bone, heavy breathing specially when I stand, walk, run, eat or talk to much.  Done all the test and it shows Gastritis with moderate inflamation, mild reflux on esophagus and back of throat/vocals.  My symptoms are all day long until I go to bed when I feel 90% better. Yes, I don't have heartburn and any disconfort at night or when I lay back completely.   I have tried just about every PPI's plus more. Have done all home remedies with negative results.  Lost 51 pounds in 2 1/2 years and it's just going backwards very fast.  So I'm going on a bland diet which to my understanding is good for gastritis and reflux but I have 2 BIG questions.  Is it safe to take a protein drink (Gluten, Dairy and GMO free) once or twice daily to add to my diet because I do not want to lose more weight that I already did and is it safe to add EV Olive Oil to my protein drinks as added calories (My nutritionist said yes but I'm having some doubts) Things are so bad that even the cast from walking dead contacted me for the next 2 seasons. ;-) I said I can't take the job because I can't walk. ;-)

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'd be wary. Try it - see how your body reacts. Try a small amount first. If it seems OK, gradually increase the amount. You maybe intolerant or sensitive to certain food types.
    • Posted

Thanks Zen1, my concern is that if I'm going to do a bland diet to do it right. I don't have a warnings like some people have so ther is no way to know if is helping or not until is to late. ;-(
    • Posted

No I didn't either. I've been holed up in my flat when I eat, just in case. Its the only way for me to do it. I had to eat things that reacted badly with me . its the only way to do it. It is hard. I'm not allowed back to work until I have all this sorted out. Trial and error. I ate some quiche and the pain woke me up at night for 2 hours. Then 3 days for stomache to settle down. I now know not to eat quiche. It can take up to a year to sort out. You may have developed food intolerances. I also asked Dr to refer me for ultrasound in case something else is going on with bile duct. I have an appt with a dietician to help with food allergies. I can't eat a lot of stuff I used to. Its personal to you. Think about a food you'd like to eat and then think - will this irritate my stomache? If you're not sure try a little bit. You are only going to find out what upsets you by eating it unless you can get an indepth allergy food test- ask your Dr. I ate lettuce and and cucumber for 2 weeks. Then I tried plain rice. Then I tried some veg. Etc etc. I just stay away from cream curries spices and fatty food. Portion size is important. Small and often is good. So your digestive system can handle it.

Hope this helps.

Hard work. But keep going.

• Posted

Thanks Zen1, this is all a trial and error to see what works for each of us. 

My #1 concern is the chest and breathing problem which supposedly is the reflux on my esophagus. But losing 51 pounds and being underweight is actually affecting my self-esteem so I have to deal with it as well. So I will give the shakes a try between my regular 3 meals to complete the 5 meals. Just trying to keep it within Gastritis and reflux standards  ;-)  I guess my mistake was to see a nutritionist and not a dietician. ;-(  Just today saw my first acupuncture. He did the coping and acupuncture.  My back looks pretty bad. ;-) I will post here any improvement if it helps. ;-)

• Posted

Wow I really feel for you papote... I too get this heavy chest it the worst thing in the world can make u anxious so quick... no wonder u lost all ur weight I'm trying hard to keep a stable weight myself. If I'm a betting man I would say we have exactly the same thing I've had it for a couple of years but my heavy chest seems worse unless I'm just more aware og it now.... I eat healthier but under mild stress or physical stress my stomach tightens then I get the heavy chest it's so frustraighting and scary. I'm finding it hard to stay positive at the moment, I even drink cholesterol reducing drinks just incase the docs are wrong (no harm right must be healthy lol). I'd kill to feel hearburn lol. All I get is snotty and heavy chest under chest bone. My hot tub is away bad wheather sad this really helped tho lol. Have u seen a chiropracter? I might pay for one there one round corner from my house if it improves things I'll let u know?

• Posted

Oh BTW I'm seeing my doc again next Monday. She gave me anti spasm drugs and they seemed to work I'm going to talk to her about these... did u try those. She said my digestive system was stressed and tired and thought it could be spasm in. . I since stopped taking these drugs..

Also I don't sleep through the night lack of deep sleep repairs muscles if we don't have this, is this another reason?

• Posted

No anti spasms weren't offered. I think my docs thought I was making it all up!! Lol. I sleep pretty well though so I'm hoping to have nailed it by the end of the year! Just keep eating a very bland diet! I'm happy with that.

• Posted

Yeh I thought my intolerance could have something to do with

malt and barley.. I don't believe I'm totally intolerant but I think there's something here allergy people said I had wrong blood test done and I needed an igs blood test. Starting to get frustrated does anyone know what this roughly costs private as I think I would happily pay if it sorted me out quicker

• Posted

Hi Richard,

No, I have not seen one but just today saw my first acupuncture.  He did a coping and acupuncture so lets se how that helps.  I do believe we have to try everything so my next step is a chiropracter. I also got myself a new GI, lets se what he has to say. ;-)  It has not been easy and is not getting better but you have to keep on trying.   Yes, strees will do that to you and your stomach is the first to feel it. ;-(

• Posted

Zen1, can you give me an idea on how one day in your blad diet looks like?  Are you keeping your weight?
  • Posted

I think it starts with stress leads to intolerance then it's a circle which then includes exhaustion and fitigue what do you think lol. This is true for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.