Bleed!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi...I was diagnosed with Diverticular disease in April 2015.  I had terrible pains in my stomach for 5 days and was told I probably had a virus.  The pain eased on the 6th day and I felt well.  At 1:30 in the morning I had pain in my lower stomach which woke me up.  I went into the bathroom thinking I had had an 'accident' as stuff was pouring from my bottom.  I realised on sitting on the loo that it was blood with clots The nausea was so bad that I fainted and fell to the floor.  On coming to myself I began vomiting and at the same time this blood was pouring out of me...all over the bathroom walls doors etc. The ambulance men said when they arrived that it looked like a murder scene. I was cleaned up at the hospital and told later that day to go home and wait for an outpatients appointment to have the sigmoidoscopy done. It was this procedure that showed up the disease.  I had a scan recently and am now waiting for the results.  Has anyone else had this massive bleed?  It scared the life out of me.

Janet.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you should speak to your doctor if you are having pain again. Diverticulitis takes long time to heal yes but if you been pain free since the first episode this may be a new episode. The bleeds are normally pain free beleive it or not. infection/ inflammation is not. Also make sure you don't take any nsaids or any over counter meds that can increase risk of bleeding. You obviously be at higher risk of bleeding with active infection present. Then of course you have pain too. Because of infection. I say, it be worth having a chat to your gp about it.
    • Posted

I will get back in touch with my go as soon as I can but I'm really hoping this was just something I ate days ago and will clear up.i'm moving house today so that's not helping sad 

thank you....all this advice is very appreciated . smile x

• Posted

Think stress lowers our bodily resistance and so we succumb to bugs we would have otherwise battled.

re diet, lots of the internet about "low residue" diets.

Hope the move goes well.

• Posted

Thanks Christine...."low residue" diets. Ok will look that up.

Move going ok...everything in storage until the new house is ready so I am in a caravan until then.  Just need some sunshine now .confused 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.