Bleeding after copper iud..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. So i just really wanted some advice regarding the copper iud..I had one fitted on Monday, its safe to say it was obviously a truly horrible, uncomfortable procedure but i felt pretty much normal after.. if not abit sore and with very mild spotting, and cramping.

On Wednesday evening i started bleeding, and i still am..its just like i have a period. Is this normal? If so, how long does it normally last?

Its just i have not had good experiences with contraception before, I have been on depo injection which made me bleed for 9 months..and then tried the mini pill..to which i also bled for a good few weeks straight, i then became anaemic and had to take iron supplement. I was just really hoping and wishing this would be right for me, and I'm scared of the same thing happening again.

I've also been feeling overly tired, and have noticed i am getting more headaches since..I never really used to suffer with them before. Just wondering if this could have anything to do with the iud, even though its hormone free?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

From what I have read, it is common to experience heavy or irregular bleeding for the first 3-6 months after insertion of the copper IUD. The first few weeks can be the worst for bleeding and cramping and other PMS-like symptoms. Have you had any other side effects besides headaches?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.