Bleeding after intercourse 18 weeks post op??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, I am 18 weeks post op following vaginal hysterectomy and posterior and anterior prolapse repair. Recovery has been relatively straight forward (albeit slow) and I started physio a few weeks ago. After examination she said my pelvic floor was still very weak so gave me PF excercises to do 4 times a day, which I have been doing (as much as I can as/when remember)

She examined me Internally and said I'd healed well and there was no sign of any stitches. she asked if I'd had tried intercourse (which I hadnt then) and said I was ok to give it a go. 

Following advice on here we have experimented 3/4 times with a very small vibrater, it's a little sore but not painful but every time it has caused some bleeding.

has anyone else experienced this and is it anything to worry about?

i go back to physio in 4 weeks so obviously I'll mention it then.

Thank you xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The bleeding can be caused by a few things. Sometimes the area that's been sutured can be irritated and cause bleeding, in some cases it needs cauterising. That happened to me and I was shocked to see so much blood but once cauterised everything was OK. An other reason is dupe to irritation of the vaginal wall because of atrophy again common in menopausal ladies because of vaginal atrophy. This can be rectified by using hormonal pessaries to help build up the wall of the vagina and it's something Urogynaecologists tend to recommend prior to prolapse repair and following the surgery. Again I recommend it. No disrespect to your physio but you need to speak to a doctor, preferably a Urogynaecologist about this bleeding.
    • Posted

Ok thanks, i will make an app to see GP and ask for referral again! I'm only 37 so would the menopausal part apply to me? X
    • Posted

You could be peri menopausal, they say our female hormones start to decline from about 35 years of age but fortunately we don't notice it as early. I would think you are too young to have vaginal atrophy and your consultant probably would have mentioned it to you so I think you can rule that out.
    • Posted

Hi Matron, I just wanted to compliment you for your wealth of knowledge and your time you give to these ladies. Kudos.

I try to follow these posts as I may need surgery some day. So far doing ok with excercises. Lifestyle definately improved! But... you never know. Father Time may ultimately catch up to me. It's a constant vigil doing Pelvic Floor excercises. And I do mean constant...

Anyhow, I love your work for the ladies who have had surgery or are going into surgery. You are a blessing. Some day - IF - I need you...I hope your there.....

God Bless.

• Posted

That's very kind of you roxigrl and it is lovely to read  that you're doing the exercises and things are improving. If you do need surgery I'm sure I'll still be around xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.