Bleeding after tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

has anyone's else suffered bleeding from the wound after tkr op 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No but I feel for you. The surgery is bad enough without any complications. I send you best wishes and hope you feel better soon. Jannette
  • Posted

Several questions

How long after surgery

Is the wound hot...not just warm but hot

Is it blood only or is there an appearance of pus or any yellow or dark color drainage.

Are you running a fever.

If the answer to the 1st question is around 4 weeks and the answer to any of the other question is yes, get to an emergency Room as asoon as possible as their is a likely possibility of infection.

Otherwise contact your surgeon immediately and fully explain the situation.

• Posted

Had surgery at 11am this morning no not hot and just blood they don't seem overly concerned about it 
  • Posted

Are you still in hospital? If so ask the nurse to check everything ok, any worries, try to get them sorted while you are in hospital.You are in the best place, so try not to worry Regards Jannette
    • Posted

Yes just had surgery this morning nurses have checked it and re dressed it said it is quite normal just didn't have it after the first knee
    • Posted

O.k. thought you were home for awhile. They will keep an eye on it. My last time in I was held in recovery for several hours extra and then the put a collector and pump on the incision for 24 hours waiting for everything to slow down......which it did.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

i had bleeding from one of my bilateral tkr's.  The nurses said there was nothing to worry about and redressed it that tight, I couldn't move it.  I had to have a blood transfusion.  They over loaded me and I couldn't breathe.   They had to get the then fluid from my lungs and both lungs had collapsed.  5 months on, I'm fine medically but knees still give some aches and pains. 

We we just don't know what's going to happen. We're all different.  As the others have said, you're under the watchful eye of the nurses and they will take care of you.  It's probably quite common.

take care

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I had bleeding from my wound a day or so after surgery. They re dressed it and kept an eye on it and it soon settled down. I was in hospital for an extra day or two because of it and some redness on my leg. Both were fine though in the end so I shouldn't worry too much. Good luck with your recovery.

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Yes I did. They put a waterproof huge bandage over the incision and within the first few hours it was bleeding. By the next day it had bled so much they had to remove waterproof bandage. After that, it was done. My first one did not bleed at all. Everthing is fine.

Don't be alarmed. This happens. It's crazy all the different symptoms yet, all is within the realm of normal.

Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.