Bleeding after Urolift

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a Urolift performed Tuesday morning. The doctor said he put 6 lifts in and on the last one it hit a blood vessel. They sent me home with a huge 20fr indwelling catheter. The first day a good bit of blood in the urine, second day no blood at all, but upon waking this morning there was kool-aid colored urine in the bag and on and off through the day. They had the huge catheter pulled to tight and blood started seeping out from between my penis and the catheter yesterday, so I changed the position with a cathsecure hold, extention with a leg bag around the calf. Feels better but the catheter is so damn big it is hard to position right and after some movement it will seep a little blood again. I put a little neosporin around the tip of my penis and to lubricate the catheter a little. 8 months ago I had an indwelling catheter in for over a month which wasn't nowhere near as bad because it was 14fr but this monster is so awkward. How long is bleeding normal after a Urolift? The instructions they sent me home with said some bleeding for 3 to 5 days is normal. I think the huge catheter is causing most of the bleeding due to rubbing and irritation. I have to have it in until Monday, sure hope the bleeding stops by then. The doctor said all went well with the exception of hitting the blood vessel and the large catheter was needed to avoid getting blocked with clots, etc. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has had the urolift procedure or has knowledge of it. Thanks much! Riggs

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for responding guys. The last time I emptied my catheter this afternoon, the blood was not nearly as red. I've been drinking lots of water, and I think that is helping. My doctor called to let me know that he would be taking out the catheter tomorrow and he said it would clear up. Thanks again for the info.ETG

• Posted

BTW catheter removal is very easy. No discomfort. I actually did it myself at 

Home as instructed before see Dr for

Follow up. 

Tom

• Posted

Had Urolift 7 days ago. Went home with catheter. Could not urinate without it. Rough 4 hours before catheter inserted. Removed it 24 hours later. Next two days felt frequent urgency to go and some pink urine but felt pretty normal. 3rd day after surgery started getting big clots in urine. A bit of trouble a few times but I was able to urinate them out. Still getting the clots on about 30% of the time when going. Feel pretty good but the clots make me nervous. Doc says up to 2 weeks before I should be concerned.
  • Posted

i had my urolift on Friday 7 pins and a median lobe moved and pined

i ended up in the er at 4 am blocked

then clear today till now, clotting and bleeding like crazy.

Anyone have an idea what going on.

• Posted

i had Urolift done last Tuesday, 8 days ago. prior to the op i was told to stop taking aspirin for a week to 10 days before, which i did, then after the op, i was told i could go back to the aspirin - turns out big mistake ! i had what i would call a lot of blood and blood clots when urinating for four days after the operation, till i did a bit of research and read that blood thinners should be avoided post op. i stopped taking the aspirin and mid way through the next day the bleeding stopped, which was last Saturday and my urine has been clear since. Still recovering mind you, but getting much better and no blood. i intend to resume the aspirin after 2 weeks to give it time to heal properly. they really need to make it clear regarding this advice. all the best with your recovery. cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.