Bleeding and pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I’m a 24 y/o female. I started to notice blood just over two years ago. When I mentioned this to my GP back then she did a rectal exam and said she couldn’t feel any piles, but that it’s likely caused by internal piles or a fissure. I was happy enough that this was the case. Over the following couple of years I gradually would notice more blood on my stool, on the toilet paper and in the bowl (apologies for detail, but blood drips out of my bottom). My stools were also becoming more irregular, from explosive dihorrea to flat ribbon like stools. At the moment I am experiencing enough blood to fill the toilet bowl and my stools are completely flat and stringy. 

When I went to my GP again about 6 months ago he referred me to see a surgeon (6 month wait list). In the meantime, pain became so bad when going to the bathroom along with blood, I had to go to A&E Because I thought something was seriously wrong. I can’t explain it but when I was going to the toilet, I felt nauseous, sore and faint. 

The doctor in casualty did a rectal exam and noted fresh blood just inside my anus. I was admitted and given pain killers. I was then seen by the surgical team who used an anoscope. He confirmed there was no fissure or and no hemorrhoids internally and there could be inflammation. My bloods came back that my WBC count was increased, inflammatory markers increased and I was tachycardic for most of my hospital stay. 

After this I was given an outpatient appt for a flex sigmoidoscopy. They could not see any source of the bleed during this procedure and only the slightest sign of irritation, of which they took biopsies and I am still awaiting the results. 

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong? Also I was concerned that there’s so much of the bowel they haven’t looked at with a scope! Also, when I say I pass a lot of blood, I am not exaggerating, it’s very scary. I’d really appreciate some guidance on what could be going on.

Thanks in advance,

Niamh 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Is that the blood you are seeing bright red or a darker red? Darker red usually means it’s coming from further up in your bowel. I would ask your gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. Also, are you experiencing any abdominal pain or just the blood and thin stools?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.