Bleeding for over a month, not sure what is happening

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm hoping someone has answers for me . I'm 50 years old and I am in peri menopause. I went without a period for about three months from about Dec to March and then had a normal period for about 6 days. About 2 weeks after this I started to spot again - brown at first and then pinkish. It progressed to regular bleeding and at times was heavy with large clots. The bleeding has not stopped and it's now been well over a month! It is variable but mostly more pinkish red than a normal period. I'm very very worried and I am thinking the worse. There is no pain but at times some cramps. Has someone been through this and found it was ok? They did an ultrasound yesterday and I am waiting results . Also prior to the periods stoping in December I had hot flashes for the first time around October of 2015. They were intense and I suffered about 8-11 episodes per day. These stopped in January. My anxiety is very very high right now. Please help!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lola

Firstly STOP!!! Don't panic okay. Because I've been through the same thing almost to you..

When I stopped at 50 Mm well I thought I had they came back!! I had a week of the usual thing, I got on to my doctor, she sent me for an ultra sound scan.. I was petrified!!

When I had the scan done, they said there is nothing wrong, and they don't know why it happens. But as long as there is no pain you are okay..

As for the flushes, that is the package of the monthly leaving the body.. Hormones are up in the air, the fsh levels Go squee whiff with it!! Unless you have pain don't panic!!

It's all the process of your body unwinding from menstrual days to the older part of our years.. Every woman is different..

So I hope that gives you some peace of mind..

Take extra vitamins go along to Holland and barratt health food shop and see what you can get to aliviate some of your symptoms..

But if you feel like going mad then get some help from your doctor okay

All the best liz😀

• Posted

Thank you Liz! I've been trying to eat very healthy and take vitamins .i take a multivitamin , omega 3, extra calcium and magnesium, vit d and have started taking turmeric capsules. I also take extra iron. I've also tried meditation and yoga hoping that by decreasing my stress the bleeding would stop. i know my mind is making things worse for me and I thank you for the reassurance that I'm not alone. I think this is what I crave most😊
  • Posted

Hi Lola, i'm on the 54 years old and I thought that I was post menopausal but after a year and a half I started spotting and bleeding in March I went to a GYN because I had not been in a very long time I hate going I'm phobic of being examined but I went anyway she wasn't able to do a Pap smear but she was able to do a vaginal ultrasound which found that my uterus lining is too thick and I have a polyp . She wanted to do a biopsy right in the office but I said no way I knew I couldn't get through it so she wanted me to have a DNC I decided to go to a different gynecologist and she is going to do the DNC and the hysterscopy on June 9 ... I too was scared to my wits end thought oh my God I have cancer for about a week I finally had to stop reading this form and I had to stop googling because I was making myself insane I also found out because I went to my primary care doctor and got a work up on all of my blood she said that my hormone levels show that I am not in menopause I'm overweight and I also was diagnosed with hyperplasia the fat produces estrogen but there's not enough for just around to slough off off The lining in the uterus which is probably why I haven't had periods for a long time up until now and the funny thing is I did start to lose some weight right before I started bleeding in March and I also found out that I am diabetic just barely over the threshold and I'm been put on Metformin which has been a lifesaver my energy is back and I've lost some weight gone are a lot of the symptoms that I read in this forum. Since March I've gone about every 10 days without bleeding and I haven't had significant bleeding until this week but it still more of spotting not enough to even cover the whole Kotex pad The only pain that I have is some mild twinges in mild cramping right before I start bleeding but it's not every time I bleed the GYN said that very very very few cases are cancer and just recently she's had a bunch of women come in with unusual bleeding after they thought they were in menopause and it turned out to be just a second lining or something she could treat with medicine . Sorry for the rambling but I hope this helps and I hope you get good news and find out what your issue is but it's very very common I had no idea how common it was and after reading a lot of the discussions on this form I realize that I've had so many symptoms that many women here have good luck to you and let us know how you get along
    • Posted

Thanks Kathleen... It's reassuring to hear about women going through similar issues. I hope it turns out ok and it's something treatable without surgery. I just hope this bleeding stops . Right now I'm running to the bathroom every hour but hopefully it will slow down. I wish you al the best on your menopause journey and hopefully they can tell me something on Thursday when I have my doctors apt
  • Posted

Dear lola

Yes this happened to me went on for a good month of spotting x

• Posted

How did your bleeding finally stop and what did they say was the cause? As I write this the flow is very very heavy and I can't even leave the house . My heart pounds when I do a flight of stairs and I feel shaky . For the previous two day it was very light. There is no rhyme or reason to how heavy or light it is and I am so very frustrated and depressed .
    • Posted

Hi

Get your iron levels checked. I had those symptoms and became anaemic. You might need some iron tablets x

• Posted

Thanks Michelle . I've been taking iron for a while as my ferritin has been low in the past. They did my levels on Monday and I get the results tomorrow . I'm sure with all this bleeding my levels are really low and because of the fast heart rate I'm pretty sure about that. How did your bleeding finally stop?
    • Posted

I had bleeds so heavy I couldn't leave the house. Then I would get two periods a month this lasted eight years. Then I went without a period for six months and got one on Monday! !!!

I've been peri coming up nine years now.

No fun at all.

Maybe you might need to increase your iron but you will soon find out when you get results back.

Hang in there X

• Posted

Well they did finally stop because i had my ovaries out due to family history and i had it done as a preventative measure. I had regular transvaginal ultrasounds because of history and all that i had were cysts, they said simple ones. I think the irregular bleeding was just the start of menopause, even after my ovaries were removed i still had bleeding for a couple of weeks after! I would suggest a transvaginal ultrasound to put your mind at rest but like i said the start of peri does interfere with the cycle alot, my friend had heavy bleeding which went on for some weeks, whereas i had the continual spotting x
  • Posted

i just wanted to follow-up on my US results.  not quite sure what to think. i have 2 subserosal fibroids 1.6 and 1cm. My endometrium measures 1.7 cm thick which says is greater than expected but because im not postmenopausal could still be within normal limits (i thought this was very thick from what i had read) no focal endometrial abnormality is seen.  ovaries normal in size with right ovarian follicles present up to 2cm. follow up ultrasound is recommended.

my doctor referred me to a ob/gyn

i asked about progesterone but she didnt have an answer for me.

i would love to hear what everyone thinks and not quite sure if i should be relieved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.