Bleeding from kidney stones

Posted , 21 users are following.

I went to the ER on 11/20/16 when I woke up and saw blood in my urine. They gave me a CT scan and saw multiple 4mm stones in the lower poles of both kidneys. They said that they didn't see any stones passing at the time. I did experience pain in my left side while I was there, but that only lasted around 15 minutes. They referred me to a Urologist and sent me home. Since then I've been bleeding on and off almost every other day. My urine becomes dark like cola when this happens. I'm also experiencing a dull pain on my left side in my lower back when I sit for too long. The almost daily bleeding is worrying me. I have an appointment with a Urologist in around a week, but does this seem normal? I don't think I'm passing any stones since I'm not experiencing any major pain. Can a stone just sit there in the kidney and make you bleed? If so, what's the treatment if it doesn't pass but keeps bleeding?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes a stone just sitting there can cause bleeding. I currently have 9 stones in my right kidney and 4 in my left. But in the upper pole of the kidney. I have blood in my urine almost every day and constant infections. The major pain that one experiences with kidney stones is when the stone moves out of the kidney, but every person has a different pain thresh hold. Will definitly get it checked out by a Urologist as soon as possible. You could have a kidney infection too.
    • Posted

Yes, stones can sit in your kidney for a long time. Many people have stones there and don't even know they have them. There is a space within the kidney that is larger than the tubes leading away from it and a stone can lodge there giving no symptoms - until it tries to make its way down, and then the pain kicks in.

Depending on the size, yours may pass but the blood you are seeing is consistent with kidney stones.

All you can do is keep up with drinking plenty of water to help to flush them out and prevent them getting bigger.

If pain gets too bad then see your doctor for advice, stronger painkillers or further treatment.

• Posted

Hi I have microscopic blood in my urine for a while now but no infection I have been referred to urology I get pain under my ribs could this be kidney stone? I also had partial hysterectomy 10 months ago it’s more my right side back n ribs can. Stone stay in for a while without passing? Anxiety through the roof can anyone shed a light 
  • Posted

I have had kidney stones since the late 1980s, first diagnosed when I suffered severe pain in the area of my left kidney (typically, I was on holiday with my family!).  The threat of medical intervention for the removal of the stones encouraged me to drink lots of water and even neat lemon juice and about a week later a stone or two was passed. I have an extreme fear of medical matters which makes dealing with anything like this very diiffiicult.  The kidney stones occasionally reform and pass.  This is unpleasant and sometimes painful but the frequency of discomfort was roughly once every two or three years.   One of my stones is, I suspect, too large to pass (5mm).  Fast forward to 2016: I noticed dark urine once or twice in July but put it down to my liking for paprika crisps.  Since then, despite giving up on the crisps, the dark pee has reappeared a few times for a day or two, sometimes accompanied by slight discomfort in my left side.  This is quite alarming and because I have a phobia which makes my reaction to such symptoms irrational, I try not to look when going to the toilet.  Two days ago I  got up during the night  to go to the toilet and was horrified at the reddish result (white bathroom suites do not help!).  I have been drinking lots of water and tea and the resulting dilution marginally eases my alarm when I dare to look.  My fitness is unaffected and I have not had any real pain, just discomfort for a few minutes now and again.  Your post has relieved me considerably (excuse the pun) because I did not know whether kidney stones could cause bleeding except when they pass.  I am summoning  up the courage to see a doctor but would be most interested in your progress.  I accept, of course, that this is a forum and that each patient needs to be assesed on their symptoms i.e. to read across from someone elses is not necessarily appropriate.  At the very least, though, I can assure you that my recent experience (ongoing) is very similar to yours.
  • Posted

A similar thing just happened to me.  13 days ago I suddenly had blood in my urine in the evening, turning it quite noticably brown.  It did so again right before bed and again when I woke up in the morning.  I went to the hospital where I gave a urine sample that clearly showed the blood, but was lighter than I had been seeing.  No white blood cells or any growth on culture, so no sign of infection.  In my case, I had no pain during the bloody urine episodes.  I went out of town for about a week, and had no bleeding while gone, but still saw a urologist upon my return 3 days ago, and on that day saw some blood in the urine, but again that went away within a day.  Then that evening I started to feel some senations around the left kidney and left groin that intensified a little before my CT yesterday.  Last night I got the report of some kidney stones, but the largest being estimated at 3mm, and only one had already left the kidney.  The senations turned into a bit of pain last night, but things have been easier today.  I think I may have passed some or all of the stones, and my urine is currently just a little bit bloody.  My short answer is, yes, the stones can cause bleeding, even if still in the kidney and possibly without pain.
  • Posted

So what happened?

I have periodic brownish bleeding after exercise. CT showed large stone stuck in right kidney. cytology and cystography were fine.

The urologist said this can happen when the stone scrapes the inside of the kidney (like when you brush your teeth too hard). Aspirin, alcohol, certain medications (prednisone, anti-coagulants) etc can make it happen more often.

Hope this offers comfort! All urinary bleeding should be checked out... the good news is that most causes are remedied easily. :-)

• Posted

Hey guys, sorry for not updating in so long. I had the bleeding for a couple of weeks then the pain came and oh boy, it was the worst pain in my life! Had to go to the ER multiple times. Had CT scans and ultrasounds done. Eventually they found a stone stuck in my left ureter. It took months for it to pass. Went through all types of pain on that side. Also had a strong sensation to urinate constantly for a while. Was a real nightmare. The first urologist I went to wasn't too bright. Didn't even think the blood was coming from a kidney stone. I went to another after that and he knew it was from a stone right away. I past the stone a few weeks ago and been pain free for a couple of months. I still want to get a lithotripsy done to get rid of the rest of the stones. Never want to go through that ordeal again.

• Posted

That was quite an ordeal.  Glad to hear that the offending stone has passed and you now feel better.

I went to the medical centre a week before Christmas after a particularly spectacular looking pee during the night.  White bathroom suites really don't help!  Dark red, like red wine, and clots were passed.  I had blood and urine tests.  The urine test confirmed that there was blood present and a tiny bit of protein.  Analysis of the blood test samples (full chemistry and count) showed everything to be completely normal and the medics did not appear to get excited or concerned, given that I had a history of kidney stones and was experiencing discomfort in the region of my left kidney where a scan a couple of years ago showed a 5mm stone.  Normality in the urine department returned over Christmas and in to the new year.  In mid January, things started to get a bit pink again and this trend continued until red wine was the appearance of my output by February.  Fitness remained unaffected and pain was only slight - more accurately described as mild discomfort in the left kidney region.  This continued without a break for nine weeks.  About two weeks ago, I passed something which looked like a bit of shrapnel, together with soft clots.  Other bits passed with every visit but I did not feel inclined to grope through the red wine in order to get a better view.  The following few days showed progressively paler urine, then four days ago it looked completely normal and has remained so.  After nine weeks of 'red wine' type appearance, this was an extremely welcome change - I was beginning to get very worried.  I am hoping that the redness does not reappear any time soon.  Unfortunately, I have arthritic hips and had been taking 50mg of aspirin a day for years, more on bad days, but stopped the aspirin in February in case it was making the bleeding worse.  I also reduced my coffee consumption to 1 cup per day and started to drink a few glasses of apple juice and ginger beer (non alcoholic) every day, plus green tea with lemon before bed.  Although many kidney stone sufferers swear that lemon juice etc has cured them, I take a more philosophical view of such anecdotal evidence. It may help, but water would probably be equally effective though rather boring. 

• Posted

I came across this thread today.  I am suffering right now with a kidney stone.  Years ago I had a bloody stone like this one but the red wine smile was brief.  I started the search today as its lasting now for days and I am without insurance.  I feel better knowing this can go on for a bit of time so I am on a heating pad waiting it out.  I am hoping this sucker will pass on its own.  It is very alarming to see.  Best to you all
    • Posted

An update: Since December 2016 my constant bleeding at every visit to the toilet has been investigated further.  Blood tests, an ultrasound test, a flexible cystoscopy test and a CT scan with contrast gradually homed in on a tumour in my bladder.  It is possible that my remaining 5mm kidney stone was initially responsible for some of the bleeding and left side discomfort but the eventual diagnosis does show how important it is to see your doctor or visit your medical centre as soon as you see blood in your urine (haematuria). The plan was to have the tumour removed and my bladder flushed with a chemo type drug but during pre-operative assessment it was discovered that I had a heart valve problem which would make a general anaesthetic very risky and it also ruled out chemotherapy.  The blood loss over many months also reduced my haemoglobin level to such an extent that an emergency blood transfusion was carried out on 1st September and another top-up was necessary on 13th October.  I am about to begin a course of radiotherapy, the intention of which is palliative rather than curative i.e. it should reduce or stop the bleeding and the tumour may shrink.  Radiotherapy for bladder cancer is not particularly effective without chemotherapy.  The higher curative dose of radiotherapy would most likely give me permanent side effects such as incontinence after four weeks of daily treatment, without showing a significant advantage over the two weeks course of treatment that I have opted for.  It is now a matter of hoping for the best! Remarkably, given my dislike of hospitals and tendency to faint whenever needles are involved, I still feel ok and have remained reasonably cheerful despite the potentially life shortening diagnosis.
    • Posted

Thank You for the update.  I am sorry that this was the outcome for you.  I still have pain but the bleeding seems to have finally stopped.  I will go in if it starts back, your situation shows me that I can’t just ignore that type of a symptom.   I do hope things get better for you, such a long time to deal with that.  I am glad your fear of the medical world has softened.  Sending you positive vibes!  
  • Posted

I have had multiple kidney stones, found out in 2012 has a parathyroid tumor.  Once remove no new stones but have had a 7mm in right kidney since.  I experience blood in urine a color times of year when I overdo my workout.

• Posted

I had a parathyroid tumor removed a few years back, they just found another one. This tumor leaches calcium from your bones which for me has meant many kidney stones including the one now. I've had stones removed from my mouth and tongue threw surgery and have one on my eye. Hopefully they will schedule this surgery early next year. For now, just pain. You would think after having over a dozen of these it would feel easier, but no.

• Posted

This has made me feel so much better. I went to the doctors on 11/15/17 Not feeling to well, thinking I was getting sick with a cold. I went home that night and started taking the meds my doctor gave me only to find the next morning I was peeing cola colored urine. I called her right away and asked if that was from the meds and she said no, to come back in for a urine sample. I didn't feel any discomfort at the time until she tapped my right back side and It was tender. She sent me home with cipro and told me to drink LOTS of water. Since then, 48 hrs after taking the cipro I have noticed some small clots of blood in my Urine not to frequent but the discomfort feels like it has not moved at all. Prior to this a few months back I had tested positive for uric crystals. I was foolish and didn't pay too much attention to it and now I am paying the price. It's a relief to know that what I am dealing with someone has already gone through and this has been a tremendous relief. All I could think was kidney failure. My daily activities have not changed and I feel ok even with the mild discomfort. I have drank so much water I thought I would have made some progress by now but, I guess it takes longer than what I thought.

• Posted

I’m a bit freaked out, have had aches in my right flank, nothing extreme, but have been peeing blood recently, the first 2 weeks every day, the last week or so just infrequently, a couple of times it looked like pure blood. Had a ct scan, they found nothing so presumed that I had a stone that already passed, but I thought I would have known as I had stones a few years ago and the pain was really bad. Gave a urine sample a few days ago after ct scan, they said no blood in urine. Went to toilet just now and it’s got fresh blood in it. Could it be that I passed the stone and I’m still bleeding?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.