Bleeding gums

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm premenopausal

My gums look lovely and pink until I brush my teeth. Then they bleed. My dentist can't see a problem. Had anyone else experienced this

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi karen, it was recommended I use a soft toothbrush and buy toothpaste for sensitive teeth. When your teeth bleed it means you have plague build up. Have your teeth re-cleaned. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi, Karen, sorry to learn you're having this problem.  I also had it, until I stopped using whitening toothpaste and mouthwash.  Teeth whiteners can cause sensitive, bleeding, gums and can also cause the tissues in your mouth to slough off.  My dentist gave me this information.  To stop this, I suggest that you find two non-whitening brands of toothpaste and alternate use, one tube and then the other. Use a soft tooth brush and go easy on your gums.  Hope this helps.   

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I'm on this site because I'm going through some rough times In peri, but I'm also a dental hygienist of 22 yrs and gum disease is our speciality. Gingival bleeding is always caused from plaque unless of coarse there was trauma. Hormonal imbalances such as puberty, pregnancy increases your chances of gingival bleeding or gingivitis. This is reversible with thorough brushing angling the toothbrush into the gumline as there is a space or pocket typically 1-3 mm deep. Flossing is also key because you can not remove all the plaque with brushing alone. It only takes 48 hrs for gingivitis to appear and approximately 2 weeks for it to subside.

• Posted

Sometimes I get that, but my gums used to mostly get sore. They only bleed now when I floss. I had to switch toothpastes about a year or so ago. Mouth was always sore. So now I use Sensodyne Pronamel. Has helped a lot with the sensitivity I used to get.
    • Posted

Keep on flossing at the bleeding will subside. Be sure to floss all the way up into each side of the gum. Only tooth sensitivity will respond the the toothpastes for sensitive teeth. Gums will respond to thorough brushing and daily flossing
  • Posted

Yes I had an increase in bleeding gums around peri x
    • Posted

Just back from my dental appointment. Dentist said my gums in very good condition and no decay. He did a very through check. He thinks it's hormone related and I have been over brushing. Because the gums are a sensitive at certain times he told me to be more gentle.

• Posted

Yes the bleeding increased in peri, I use a mouth wash which seems to help x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.