Bleeding in urine and penile discharge for 1 week

Posted , 1 user is following.

Summary of events

1. Discharge in my penis and pain urinating for about a week
  2. Full STI test currently in lab, waiting another week for diagnosis
  3. Started taking doxycycline, took first 2 doses close together and on empty stomach
  4. Noticed drastically improved discharge and less pain urinating, but same day noticed some bleeding in urine and diarrhea with bleeding, feeling healthy otherwise, no pain or discomfort etc
  5. Stopped taking doxycycline and bleeding improved, but didn’t stop fully
  6. UTI symptoms continue

The situation

So I have had some pain whilst urinating for around 1 week, thought nothing of it as I can sometimes get UTI's which disappear after a few days.

The pain continued and I noticed substantial discharge from the penis while urinating. I had been sexually active, so assumed it was either chlamydia or gonorrhoea as these are common STI's in London area.

Sexual health testing times are severely reduced currently and I was only able to get this seen to in person within 2 weeks, so I sent off a test at home kit which takes around 1 week to receive results.

I was in quite a bit of discomfort, so naturally I tried to self-diagnose and decided a course of doxycycline antibiotics would help with either chlamydia or gonorrhoea until I was able to get a formal diagnosis.

A pharmacy prescribed a weekly amount to be taken twice per day. I took the first in the afternoon, followed up with 2nd in early evening (6 hours apart) on an empty stomach.

I noticed immediately the UTI symptoms were improving - the discharge had stopped and pain went away after just 2 doses. So I was even more convinced it was either a bacterial chlamydia or gonorrhoea infection.

However immediately after the 2nd dose, I experienced a lot of blood in my urine and some diarrhea with blood... I was generally feeling fine however, no pain or discomfort otherwise.

I stopped the doxycycline immediately, the blood was now not in my stools but showing in urine still, however not as much as previously.

The UTI symptoms then returned...

So I would be curious to hear advice on 1) What could be causing the blood and 2) Any advice on treatments?

Here's my plan

1. Wait until formal diagnosis then follow up with a treatment professional who can advise (around 1-2 weeks)
  2. Hold off doxycycline (until bleeding stops completely)
  3. Drink plenty of fluids and cranberry juice and avoid caffeine
  4. If bleeding gets any worse go to A&E immediately

Any suggetions welcome!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.