Bleeding post laparoscopic hysterectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

I am still bleeding fresh red blood, I'm 3 weeks post OP now. It started on Sunday morning, changing to red blood after I had overdone it. I did go to A&E and it has eased off slightly. It seems to increase whenever I do any sort of activity. Advice given was that it is likely due to internal stitches dissolving.

Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I didn't experience this myself, however I was told that it could happen around the 3 week mark, though I was told that it would be pooled blood and therefore darker than usual, of course other ladies may also have experienced this and will be better able to advise you, if you are worried at all contact your surgeon or GP.

Phoebe

• Posted

I did, about 4 weeks after surgery.  In my case, a stitch dissolved too soon in my vaginal cuff.  

I am concerned about your activity level.  I was told by my US surgeon/oncologist not to lift anything heavier than a milk carton for six weeks after my surgery!

This is major surgery.  External stitches heal in 4-6- weeks, but internal can be up to 6 months.  Please cut back on your activity leval and give yourself time to heal!  

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Yes, I do think I'm doing too much. I'm quite fit and active usually so finding it difficult to sit still. I am a single parent to an 8 year old too so it's tricky. She's brilliant and family are around some of the time (they live a distance away).

I did seek advice today from hospital staff and they have reassured me. I will try not to do so much.

Thank.you.

• Posted

You are so welcome!  This time is critical to your body, especially in early days, when it's tryiing to knit itself back together!  xxx

• Posted

I'm finding it so difficult because on the outside I'm absolutely fine. I forget and do stuff .... mum autopilot mode.

Good to talk, appreciate the advice.

• Posted

I understand!  Perhaps it's time for the 8 year old to help mummy a bit, not that that doesn't happen already...but I do think they need to learn that caring goes both ways! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.