Bleeding slightly when injected?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have had injections in both knees twice, I have osteoarthritis, and they have worked for approx 3 months. I have had the injection today again in both knees, and there was a tiny bit of blood. I had a numbing injection first and then the steroid injection, both painless. Because of this tiny bit of blood Dr has decided he wants me to have a blood test to check the platelets I am now worried sick and just wonder if this has happened to any one else?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have a conscientious Dr.

I have had enough bleeding to warrant a bandaid but never was concerned.

Go with your Dr s advice and cchances are its some little anomaly that won't amount to much.

• Posted

Don't be worried about it Carol he's just checking all options, that's all. 

• Posted

Hi carol, I haven't had one myself but my mother in law has had a few in her shoulder and they always bleed, her consultant never says a word, he just wipes it and job done, she's had them loads, maybe your Dr is very good to be bothered to do further test for reassurance.

I wouldn't worry though as it seems quite common.

• Posted

Thanks all of you for bothering to reply and trying to reassure me

I will let you know the results of the blood test.

• Posted

Don't worry about it Carol, you may have low platelets, but it's not a big deal.  Before my last TKR I had about 6 months of them checking my platelets because it's such major surgery, but with this, it's more than likely that your dr is just checking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.