Bleeding Varices Recovery Time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have some cirrhosis and as a result varices..I had a bad episode of bleeding varices a week ago. I was throwing up tons of blood and found out 2 veins were bleeding.Doc put bands on them. I still do not feel well, and am wondering how long does it take to recover from something like that? The docs said about a week and I should be feeling better. Have any of you experienced an episode like that? Im so happy just to be alive, it was scary.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Wow, I'm glad you're okay following that. You're probably gonna feel rough for a while. You are probably anaemic from blood loss. Were you transfused with blood or iron and are you on iron now? I'm assuming you were in hospital a while. 

In short you need rest, food, water and iron. Is the cirrhosis due to alcohol? if so please tell me you've given up!

If you still have any questions just ask.

aa

• Posted

Hi acuteabdo, Thank you for your reply. No I didint have any transfusions and doc didnt put me on iron. I am still getting light headed. as a matter of fact I was only there for one night.

My cirrhosis is because I had Hep C and apparently had it since I was in my 20s and didnt know it, I am 59 now. I was so lucky there is now a cure for Hep C and so I dont have it anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.