Blep club

Posted , 5 users are following.

hoping someone can relate to how im feeling at the moment, ive been diagnosed with Blepharitis and MGD with maybe inderlying ocular rosacea - it started in May when i returned from Italy. ive worn contacts for nearly 30 years but havent worn them sonce this started in may. i cant wear any eyemake up and my eyelashes are failing out. ive just had a nasty infection in my right eye and it swelled up into a huge red lump in the corner of my eye. im putting on maxitrol 2 daily and prednisolone drops 2 x daily. im also taking doxycline 50mg once a day. 11

days later its gone right down but still small red sore.

im feeling really down about it, im only 47. does anyone have any words of comfort and help?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hayley

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I wore contacts no problem for 35 years then out of the blue I started to get eczema around my eyes including itchy lids. For months I carried on wearing contacts and a little make up. Then suddenly I got an eye infection so had to stop contacts and make up. The infection came back every time I went back to make up and contacts and carried on like this for nearly a year. I tried so many things. Ultimately I gave up on the contacts (I hated that) and was glad to be able to wear eyeliner.

Things that helped me quite a lot were hot compresses and manuka honey.

When I had an eye infection I also used salt eye washes three times a day.

Then fast forward another six months and I finally had a big break through when a friend mentioned a very good acupuncturist. I wasn't very hopeful but noticed a big difference after the first session. Two more sessions later and I was back to wearing contacts and make up (though the acupuncturist said I must stick to bio make up). Now I see him every three/four months and touch wood things seem to be under control. I usually only wear contacts for six hours (before it was all day) but thats OK.

One more important discovery is that I was allergic to cocamidopropyl betaine a common ingredient in shampoo that can irritate the skin near the eyes even though the scalp is uneffected. Changing shampoos has really helped.

Good luck, its a really frustrating aliment and I remember despairing that I would ever find a solution but I have to 95%.

• Posted

thank you for replying. it seems to have started since i started using HRT, which i quit and found a natural alternative red clover which also made it worse, so now i wonder if its an estogen intolerance?? My shampoo does have that ingredience so i will try an alternative 😃

did you apply the manuka honey directly to the eye? im worried about doing this and using salt baths?! still im getting to a stage where i will give anything a try!

are you in the uk? would be fantastic if your acupuncturist was near me!

did you suffer from dry eye too?

• Posted

Hello,

hormones do have a big influence on our lives so maybe the menopause/HRT has thrown some challenges and changes at your body.

Good news if you shampoo has cocamidopropyl betaine because you can find cocamidopropyl betaine free shampoo so it is something you can change. I honestly think this was a quite big part of my problem. It is often mentioned as being a cause of eye irritation when used in a shampoo. Sensitivies and allergies would be a good thing to explore in general but it is very time consuming and often very individual.

For the manuka honey, I put a small amount on a cotton bud and then apply it to one eye (onto the lower eye lid). It will sting. A lot. I count to 60. The first thirty seconds are the worse and then it gets better. The sting does resolve quickly but be prepared otherwise it might be quite frightening the first time. Now my eyes are pretty much resolved but actually I still use manuka honey from time to time for maintenance. Personally I feel very comfortable with the idea of using honey in my eyes.

The salt eye wash is perhaps something to use with more care and I only use if I get conjunctivitis. I do a wash for about thirty seconds and repeat this about three times a day. I never do this for more than three days in a row as salt is drying for the eyes (and yes I suffer from that a little too though the itchy eyelids are by far my main symptom). I have to say though it does clear conjunctivitis very well. Apparently tea bags are good too, maybe you might be more comfortable with that?

About the acupuncturist I live in France and see someone in Paris who has a great reputation. That probably doesn't help you (though if you do visit Paris ever message me and I'll give you his details). You could ask around in the UK but the trick is to find someone very good because a lot are frankly a waste of money.

Good luck, there are solutions I promise but it is a frustrating and at time distressing journey. You'll get there:)

• Posted

Dear Hayley,

I used the Wet Ones, antibacterial handwipes from the US, and was able to kill my Blepharitis. I used mascara while I was doing it.

My daughter used the wipes to kill a stye on her eye. It took her a couple of days to do so but she used the wipes a few days longer to make sure.

People have used the wipes and their lashes have grown back in. Jill, on this site, was one of the people.

If you are not allergic to detergents, fabric softeners, lanolin, aloe or have sensitive skin you can try them.

You will need new makeup and new mascara and throw away mascara wands. Use 2 wands, 1 for each eye and never double dip into the mascara to keep it clean. Take the mascara off as soon as you get home. Don't wear around the house. You will need to take mascara off with a remover then wash your lash area. Last thing you do is to use the Wet Ones wipes on your lashes to make sure there is not any sign of black.

To kill the blepharitis you need to use the wipe 4 times a day, if possible, for a week. Then down to 3 times a day until you feel better then down to 2 times a day for the next couple of months. It takes just over 3 months to kill it. Very important to use the wipes after removing mascara as seems like it is food for the Staph.

Jill, who I mentioned had her lashes grew back, used the wipes only 2 times a day as she worked and had success. Not sure if it took her a little longer.

If you would like any more information or I missed something let me know.

Hope this helps you,

Lynda79

• Posted

thank you Lynda.

ive been using the blephamodex wipes twice a day which seems to have helped - would this be a similar ingredience to the wet wipes?

bit worried about using them as seen negative stories if people damaging there eyes further?!

i will get some new disposable wands when i can finally wear make up. hoping i can for christmas!

thank you

• Posted

thank you Victoria, ive found a lavender shampoo from neals yard...fingers crossed as i have super dry hair, another hormonal imbalance me thinks.

we were in Paris last year, absolutely love it ❤ have you lived there for long?

i think the blephamodex wipes are making a difference, they are just very expensive. i'm seeing the eye consultant next week and ask for a cheaper alturnative! ill ask about the honey too 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.