Blepharitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I came across this forum whilst looking for types of treatments for blepharitis. Having read through several of the posts looking for treatments other than the eyelid wipes and eye drops that I have been trying for some time with little relief, I remembered a doctor (now retired) telling me about an old home cure that he suggested after he had treated but failed to clear up a sty like problem I was having on my lower eyelid a long time ago. (Before my blepharitis appeared). It did cure my eye problem then so I thought I would try it again for the blepharitis and after one go, I didn’t wake up with gritty eyes. I continued daily, now after 4 days there is a definite benefit and no more wipes and drops!

First the warning: I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR EXPERT IN THE FIELD OF BLEPHARITIS OR ANY EYE CONDITIONS. THIS IS MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND USES BOILING WATER THEREFORE CAN BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IF NOT USED CAREFULLY. IF YOU FOLLOW THIS METHOD, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This is how I prepare and use the method told to me by my retired doctor:

Add freshly boiled water to a bowl, place a hanky size cloth into the water, (I used a new thin face cloth that my wife uses for make-up) leave a corner of the cloth out over the edge of the bowl. Using a small wooden spoon in one hand pick up the cloth by the dry exposed corner and wrap it round the spoon, twirling the spoon so as to gather the whole cloth around the spoon. Over the sink hold the spoon slightly tilted upwards handle down, lean over the spoon with eyes closed and move your head so that you can feel the steam rising from the cloth onto your closed eye, slightly moving your head side to side so the steam covers the whole eye lid area. After around 10-15 seconds the steam will lesson as the cloth cools down. I then hold a corner of the cloth and un twirl it from the spoon, then getting another corner of the cloth in my free hand I shake the cloth open to cool it a little so that I can then squeeze out the water and use the warm cloth to gently rub the eye lids. Replace the cloth in the bowl and repeat the process for the other eye. Repeat again for both eyes. By this time the water will have cooled to the point that there is no steam left although you can continue bathing the eye with the warm squeezed out cloth if you feel it necessary.

I started one evening and repeated it in the morning for the first and second day, now I just do it at night and my eyes feel the best they have for a long time and no wipes or drops!

Best wishes

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I have posterior Blepharitis,so my glands are a bit blocked since 4 years. I tried EVERYTHING.

Another name for it is MGD: meibomian gland dysfunction.

At the moment I can't drive a car. Can't watch television or use the computer.

It's very difficult to go in a pub or a room with airco or heating and a lot of people don't understand this.

My eyes are very dry and I can't take bright light...

Do you have any other tips? Does the cloth touches the eyes or not?

Thanks for the info!

• Posted

The cloth is only used to massage the eyelids after the steaming and after the cloth is shook open to cool it so you can squeeze out the hot water. Hope this helps

• Edited

I've found a warm shower does just as much to help the eyes as compresses. I take the shower let the steam build up,no soap,get out of the shower,dry my eyes carefully and then looking in a mirror clean along the lash line with a q tip to loosen any crusts and remove them. Also some people who have mgd and bleph also have demodex mites along the lash line,that takes a different treatment. My eyes are usually much clearer now,the very warm compresses used to irritate my eyes and my vision would be filmy for hours.

• Posted

I find that the steam softens any crusts and opens the pores to help drain the blockage, it's more direct than shower steam. Hope this is helpful

• Edited

I am inspired. While I claim to be using moist treatment, it is a challenge to really use it often enough. Will increase freq and try your method? Thanks! bh1

• Posted

I tried to use the wipes and drops every night and morning but still found I was waking in the night with gritty eyes. Also the eye drops tended to go sticky after a while and caused blurred vision in the mornings. Please let me know how the steaming works for you, I haven't come across the method before during my searches of the internet so it would be nice to know it does help some sufferers. best wishes

• Edited

Thanks for this so beautifully explained. I have just tried it. I was bathing them but found this method better. I already had a plastic bowl with a thin facecloth cut in half, one for each eye.

• Posted

I'm glad to hear it is helping you. I'm about a week into using it before going to bed and have had very little problems overnight and just a rinse with warm water in the mornings has been enough to keep my eyes clear all day. Just shows how old basic methods are effective. Best wishes

• Edited

Thanks for this so beautifully explained. I have just tried it. I was bathing them but found this method better. I already had a plastic bowl with a thin facecloth cut in half, one for each eye.

• Posted

Why not use distilled water instead of boiled water? I am assuming the boiling is to make sure the water is safe since this is an old remedy, that would make sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.